Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-22-2013, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Need advice on truck/trailer

I have a fuso cab over landscape truck that is perfect other than the transmission broke yesterday. I also have a f-250 truck as back up. Should I buy a trailer to pull behind the f-250 and sale the cab over or should I fix the cab over ASAP? A trans is 3000.00 and I don't know how much I could get a trailer for. I would need a 6x16 trailer. What would you guys do? I'm in a bind!!
Old 07-22-2013, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Find a used trailer and get the transmission in the Fuso rebuilt. Always good to have a backup. At least that's what I tell my wife, why I have two trucks and four trailers.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Man with a spare has no care!
Old 07-22-2013, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In this business, you have to have a spare. So you think it's best to get a trailer and fix the cab over when I have time?
Old 07-22-2013, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Find a used trailer and get the transmission in the Fuso rebuilt. Always good to have a backup. At least that's what I tell my wife, why I have two trucks and four trailers.
I agree 100%!!! I run a Isuzu NPR, but also have three other trucks and four trailers. Sure that's a little over kill as back ups but I don't care. I'd rather be safe than sorry and really be in a bind and have to start asking for help from people. Just a 6x12 trailer would be great for a back up. Sure you might not can get all your stuff on it but its better than not being able to work at all.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So tell me what you think
I found an NPR, box truck 1996 model diesel auto a/c forsake up the road for a little more than I can get a trans for my fuso. My fuso has an open body bed on it and no a/c. So I would be gaining a box, and a/c and could slowly repair the fuso then sale it to get my money back from buying the truck. I also have a f-250 truck and have been using my dads 5x10 trailer just to keep on top of my properties. It sucks because I usually have a laser z, navigator and 21" on my truck and now that I'm using the 5x10 trailer I can only fit a rider and a 21". All the handhelds and blowers are in the bed of the truck.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Buying used is a crap shoot. You have to take into consideration that the new to you vehicle could take a crap in 30 days. Hope not but you have to prepare for the worst.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's true with anything you buy. My father is a mechanic and I have always bought used. But we have the means and knowledge to fix anything. We have the tools and know people to get parts cheap. That's the only reason we buy used. A new cab over is 50,000 now a days. but I can buy a used truck for the same price as a trans. This truck just needs some brake work done but like you said, you never know. I did gain a box, a/c and the fact that the isuzu's have way more parts available compared to the Mitsubishi fuso. I could always sale it if it didn't work out.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydebusa View Post
Buying used is a crap shoot. You have to take into consideration that the new to you vehicle could take a crap in 30 days. Hope not but you have to prepare for the worst.
I agree with this 100% You would be better off just getting a trailer for the 250 and getting the tranny rebuilt
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 07-24-2013, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

well I own a Isuzu NPR, Mitsubishi fuso and a f-250. Ill fix the fuso when I get time, and until then ill drive the f250 and NPR. When I get the fuso fixed, ill see about selling one of them, or I may keep them all haha