Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-15-2013, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Rain Stopped Color Back

Earlier this Spring/Summer we had so much rain that some of the lawns were turning a little pale... I was wondering if the 2nd mowing fertilizer app was being leached away and if something would be needed at the very worst time of the year for more N...
Once the rains stopped and we're back to periodic watering the color has returned... This is a "mulch mow ONLY" lawn and the brown thatch is getting a little thick...

I've applied dry molasses with all of its bulk of microbe fodder onto the lawn and it will be washed in with irrigation... I'll be monitoring the thatch level, the release of cycled nutrients and the development of surface soil structure, along with the addition of OM to the soil...

Has anyone else applied something to enhance the development of microbial activity during this most active time of the year for them???
Old 07-16-2013, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I soaked the turf before the molasses and again, the next day,, after the molasses...
The soil was definitely dry when I started watering and just from the watering itself the color increased again...

Allowing the soil to dry, and dry thoroughly,, does indeed make a difference...

Now we'll see how it endures the upcoming worst week of the season so far...
Old 07-22-2013, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Liquid iron makes the pale go away in St Augustine. I see that thatch build up iin our area since we mulch all the lawns. It didn't look good so I though I would get the Walker out and bag a few. Why not compost tea?
Old 07-23-2013, 06:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Now the cool weather is back and the sprinklers got on the area, I hope to mow it and see how the ground looks then... I'll plug it toward the end of August to see how the thatch, structure and root zone are doing in the top 3"... We are definitely overall better color than last year, which was a function of the heat as much as the drought and a better color than when we were getting too much rain, which may have been causing chlorosis itself...
Molasses are handy, dry, and real food for the microbes already there... since the sugar cane fibers are not that much different from the grass fibers in the lawn; that application makes the most sense to me...
Old 07-25-2013, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I finally got to mow that lawn where the molasses were put down...

What I'm experiencing this season are the consequences of Last Summer's Drought...
Although the grass over all survived,,, it is very thin everywhere and is not very energetic right now due to the current heat...

For now though,,, I'll continue watering the thatch to keep the cycling process going... At times it may be possible that the sun is interfering with the activity in the thatch's digestion...
Some areas that actually get a couple hours of full sun look worse...

I can't imagine Professional Applicators putting down N fertilizer on non irrigated turf, right now... that has got to be throwing grass into shock...
They'll be killing the grass with N anyways, no matter how hot and dry it gets...