Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-11-2013, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Vanguards are manufactured by Daihatsu, which is a division of Toyota (51.2%). B&S went in on the building of the manufacturing plant with Daihatsu, so that they could have the exclusive rights of distributorship of the Vaguard engine here in the US.
Just asking? Why did B&S enter into something called "the mitsubishi agreement" after having trouble with daihatsu?
Old 07-11-2013, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony b View Post
Just asking? Why did B&S enter into something called "the mitsubishi agreement" after having trouble with daihatsu?
While neither were/are "German engineering, Mitsubishi made the single cylinder motors, never the twin cylinders. Read the manual.

Last edited by echo; 07-11-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony b View Post
Sorry, I just saw this, but Echo gave you the answer to your question. Last year or the year before I posted a few links on here somewhere that contained all the info you could ever want about this subject. I just don't have a clue where to search for them now.

The twin cylinder Vanguards are highly regarded engines with well deserved reputations, and if given a choice, would always be my first pick even though I am a Kawi fan.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Sorry, I just saw this, but Echo gave you the answer to your question. Last year or the year before I posted a few links on here somewhere that contained all the info you could ever want about this subject. I just don't have a clue where to search for them now.

The twin cylinder Vanguards are highly regarded engines with well deserved reputations, and if given a choice, would always be my first pick even though I am a Kawi fan.
Thanks for the info. We always use vanguards for replacement and usually get 3 times the service.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:22 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm glad to see I am it the only one having a bad experience with Kawi engines. I wish I would have came across this post 3 weeks ago.

I decided to go out and get myself a new 52" Exmark Pioneer with the 23HP FR691V Kawi engine. To my displeasure, a week after buying the new mower with Kawi engine, my BobCat 52" ProCat engine,19hp kawasaki fh580v-bs45, had seized with only 765 hours on it and 2 weeks out of warranty. If only I waited a bit longer for the new mower, I wouldn't have gotten one with a Kawi.

Regardless, I now have the new rider which is going well for now and I want to replace the engine on my BobCat. The exact model is kawasaki fh580v-bs45. Can anyone help me find a simalar Kohler or Briggs engine that will make for an easy swap out? I appreciate your help in advanced.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Look up a member here named Retrodog. He is a mower dealer and a heck of a good guy that goes out of his way to help folks. If anyone would know the right answer for you, it'd probably be him.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Look up a member here named Retrodog. He is a mower dealer and a heck of a good guy that goes out of his way to help folks. If anyone would know the right answer for you, it'd probably be him.
I appreciate such a quick reply and I appreciate the advice. I am glad i found this site, its nice to see others are willing to take the time to help random people.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Happy to help. I should be sleeping, but I have a touch of insomnia lately so I'm still up reading here.

Here's a link to a post by him. Click on his name and it will open a drop down that should say send PM to Retrodog, then click that. Since you are so new, I'm not sure you can send a PM yet, but if not, just quote him and post when the window opens up. He'll see it sooner or later (usually sooner) and reply-

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...5&postcount=51

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 07-25-2013 at 03:49 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VotteroLandscapeCont View Post
I'm glad to see I am it the only one having a bad experience with Kawi engines. I wish I would have came across this post 3 weeks ago.

I decided to go out and get myself a new 52" Exmark Pioneer with the 23HP FR691V Kawi engine. To my displeasure, a week after buying the new mower with Kawi engine, my BobCat 52" ProCat engine,19hp kawasaki fh580v-bs45, had seized with only 765 hours on it and 2 weeks out of warranty. If only I waited a bit longer for the new mower, I wouldn't have gotten one with a Kawi.

Regardless, I now have the new rider which is going well for now and I want to replace the engine on my BobCat. The exact model is kawasaki fh580v-bs45. Can anyone help me find a simalar Kohler or Briggs engine that will make for an easy swap out? I appreciate your help in advanced.
Sorry to hear about your Kawasaki . How does the new Pioneer compare to the Bobcat, does it stick on hills? Im ordering the 60" with the Kohler and mulch kit. I can't find one to look at other than the video on the website which helps a lot.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 07-25-2013, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

oopps double post.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong

Last edited by MJB; 07-25-2013 at 10:09 AM.