Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-25-2013, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
This is wayyyy to minor of an issue to leave the house. He can't even get liability insurance yet and no doubt is still in high school. If you leave you will just mooch off someone else.
I guess the op didn't say weather on not he was still in high school.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
I guess the op didn't say weather on not he was still in high school.
Most kids don't graduate at 17 normally.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
Most kids don't graduate at 17 normally.
I am a senior in highschool, that dual enrolls at a community college. I have a 23 ACT and maintain a 3.8 on and will graduate with honors. There is my academic career. Haha!
Old 07-25-2013, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowin4Dollas View Post
I am a senior in highschool, that dual enrolls at a community college. I have a 23 ACT and maintain a 3.8 on and will graduate with honors. There is my academic career. Haha!
You sound like my younger twin. I graduated 2nd in my class with like a 3.85ish?
Old 07-25-2013, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowin4Dollas View Post
Very cool, keep your nose clean and work hard on your business and college and you will go far in life.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Deal with it until you are out of high school and have desided on what you want too do with your life.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Just realize that your parents are trying to help, out of touch as they may be with what lawn service costs, their heart is in the right place. My dad did the exact same thing when I was a kid, heck I used to ride my bike across town to his friends houses to cut grass with their push mowers for $10 or $15 because that's the deal THEY made! I was 12 or 13 at the time. You are at the age when you should have a sit-down with the folks and lay it all out there for them, respectfully of course. I'd suggest you write a business plan, include where you are with your business right now, where you want it to be in the next 2-3 years and then put the meat of how you are going to get there. Include what your profits are going to be and what your expenses are going to be in order to grow to that point. Show your parents the business plan, or better yet have them help you write it, and they will likely either quit quoting work for you.........or at least be better at it, haha.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Like the last guy said your parents are trying to help. It took my family a few years and several talking to's to get them to back off. More than likely they see this as a roadblock more than an open door. You have to realize that although all parents want their children to be happy they do not raise them thinking that they will be landscapers. I had similar problems where they would suggest I lower prices and offer discounts, because in their mind the answer was volume and multiple crews early on even though that did not match my business model.

There were several times that promises were made for me that I was expected to deliver on, but which I wanted no part of. For example, my father's good friend was using the only real strong competition I had at the time. Large house, $100 mow, etc. One day the wife said something to the crew that set them off. They left mid mow and did not return. Calls were placed and a promise was made that we would cut it for $50, 10 days after the incident, so half being a 2 week growth. The catch was that they had worked out the issue with their original guy and were going to return the following week. So for me it would have been a one time service, overgrown, non contract, and under priced. All of these went against policies I had. In the end I did not do it and there was some feelings about it, but I had to look out for myself. I also had several family referrals that turned out bad because they were expecting the 12 year old lawn boy price and not a competitive landscape contractor price.

You are young and still in the house, being a minor you can not even run your business legally. My suggestion, is that you separate family and business, but stay in the house as long as you feel it is right and financially smart. I'm not saying stay till you are in your mid 30's. All my similar problems happened when I was in my mid to late 20's, owned my own house, and was clearly capable of taking care of myself. My point is that moving out will not solve anything. My family leaves my business alone now, but they have moved on to other things like back seat parenting my son, etc. I guess parents will always be parents, and no matter how old you are you will always be their baby and they will always think they know better than you.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

This was found written on the wall in Mother Teresa's home for children:

People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered.
Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives.
Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies.
Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you.
Be honest and sincere anyway.

What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight.
Create anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous.
Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, will often be forgotten.
Do good anyway.

Give the best you have, and it will never be enough.
Give your best anyway.

Because in the final analysis it isn't between you and them, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for all of your advice!!