Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-25-2013, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Member

John Deere 14SB

Just looking opinions on the 14SB mower. It looks like its the newer version of the older John Deere green machine mowers w/robin engine.
Also, are parts still obtainable at a reasonable cost?
Your input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 07-25-2013, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

They haven't made the 14SB in at least 18 or so years. They are good mowers and parts are still readily available for them, though not all of them are cheap. I have both a 14SB and a JE75 which followed it. My 14SB is a later production unit with black handles and a 5.5 HP Kawi. I use it regularly. The biggest issue usually is the drive wheels gears get stripped or chipped, but they are fairly cheap and a cinch to replace. The wheels are a bit expensive IMO, but overall, they are great mowers if they have been taken care of. They do a really good job of bagging, pretty good at side discharging and pretty good at mulching with the right blades.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
They haven't made the 14SB in at least 18 or so years. They are good mowers and parts are still readily available for them, though not all of them are cheap. I have both a 14SB and a JE75 which followed it. My 14SB is a later production unit with black handles and a 5.5 HP Kawi. I use it regularly. The biggest issue usually is the drive wheels gears get stripped or chipped, but they are fairly cheap and a cinch to replace. The wheels are a bit expensive IMO, but overall, they are great mowers if they have been taken care of. They do a really good job of bagging, pretty good at side discharging and pretty good at mulching with the right blades.
Thanks!
Yes, I know its an older model. It appears to have the same deck as my green machine(25ys old) which needs a new deck. My son ran over a baseball and did a number on it.
Anyways, I found someone who has 2 of them for sale one runs and the other dont so Im going to check them out this w/e and most likely buy them unless they are trashed. Im not sure if they are kawasaki's or B&S's but I got a robin on mine and it runs great. The problem with the robin is parts...few and far between and expensive.
Again, thanks for the info.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If they are SB's, they should have Kawi's unless the guy swapped them already at some point in the past. The PB had the B&S and 2 speed trans, while the SB was the top of the line version with the Kawi and 5 speed trans.. Mine start first easy pull and run great.