Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-24-2013, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Listen to these guys and go with a walk-behind.... Especially since you have what? 20 accounts!!!! Yes, get a walk behind yesterday my friend... Take a look in your area for used Scag walk behinds.... Lots of companies make great walk behinds for sure but from my experience, Scag walk behinds are just indestructible... You will honestly be able to cut more properties with a commercial mower... Maybe even enough properties to make you think twice about taking your degree to Wall St...... Maybe you will be so impressed with how much $$$ you can make that you will take that degree and put it to use running your own business. Maybe you will invent some sort of cost analysis spreadsheet that takes the green industry by storm..... Anyway, no matter what you do, you would benefit from a commercial walk behind mower.... 36 sounds about right for you....
^^^^^+++;-)
I've been thinking about the possibilities of going huge with lawn care. I believe the potential is there to make very, very good money! However, I think I'd have to move to a larger city, such as Charlotte or Atlanta. The fixed costs would start to get pretty serious though... That said, I really do enjoy the work. It's very satisfying to look at well groomed yard and say "I did that! That was me!" My yards look better than a lot of yards maintaned by the big guys. The difference is I care about what I do. (I study Finance, and am a Long-Range competitive shooter. Attention to detail is critical in both of those disciplines)

Back to the discussion, I really want the WB so I can ride. It sounds like the Velke can handle me, and the reverse issue doesn't worry me too much. Someone mentioned Scag, and I know they're supposed to be built like a tank.
I found this on craigslist:
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/grd/3942248673.html
Unfortunately, I'm not ready to move right now. I have finals tomorrow then a short break before Fall semester begins. That means I have to buy books, pay tuition etc. Bout to be eating cheese sandwiches for a bit... What are some of the items prone to breakage on these mowers? If it is not Hydrostatic, does that mean I have to put in a "gear" and that's how fast it goes unless I put it in another gear? (I'm thinking of my dad's old craftsman rider with gears 1-5. Am I on the right line here?)

Just in case anyone was wondering what I'm working with at the moment; I'm currently running a Toro Timecutter Z4200 (I know it's not built for this, but I inherited it from my dad when he passed, and it's served me well so far), and a Husqvarna 7021R rear-drive push mower(got it used for $125). It's a good unit with a strong Honda engine, but it is a lot slower than riding. I have a Ryobi 790R with a Poulan Pro stick edger attatchment, a Ryobi SS30 that I use to trim, and a Husqvarna 150BT blower. I know the Ryobi's aren't anywhere near commercial grade, but I run the piss out of them and they keep chugging along. They were both hand-me-downs, one was my dad's and the other was given to me by my girlfriend's dad. I try to really stay on top of maintenance on all my gear. That's probably part of the reason my lower end gear still has some life in it. When I finally kill the Ryobi's I'll get RedMax or Echo replacements.

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to tell me what's what. I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't been fortunate enough to stumble into this.

Last edited by chefcam864; 07-24-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow bud! That is the mower that you need! I kid you not but I have easily over 7000 hrs on that exact unit and what a great mower! It's a scag so it has a great cut, you can side discharge or use the steel grass catcher for it, and it is super maneuverable! It's super easy to handle and light enough for you to lift it up higher walls and get through fences.... If I could lift the front wheels onto something, it was going up it.... I would say that this is pretty much the perfect mower for you.... The one thing though is the price.... Yes, it looks very clean and I know it's a great unit but I think you should go in there with a grand cash and tell him to give it to you. Tell him that used Scag's on C list are a dime a dozen and your buddy (me) just picked up a Scag SWZU 48 in. cut for 900 big ones... Absolutely true, mine came with a sulky and well... Oh yeah, as for items prone to breakage on this unit..... Ummmmmmm... wellllllll...... Catch my drift... Keep the oil changed, keep it greased, keep a couple belts on the trailer. Speaking of belts.... These units are great because they have belts and you don't have to deal with expensive hydros.... Are hydros a little easier on the hands? Sure, but you gotta get your man hands at some point in life right? Go to the Scag website and watch the Scag 30th anniversary commercial, the long edition..... This commercial will get you so dang pumped up not only to represent the Scag Nation but to be out mowing and maintaining in the green industry... And finally, just like my all time favorite company Walker, "Made in the U.S.A" enough said...
Old 07-25-2013, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Wow bud! That is the mower that you need! I kid you not but I have easily over 7000 hrs on that exact unit and what a great mower! It's a scag so it has a great cut, you can side discharge or use the steel grass catcher for it, and it is super maneuverable! It's super easy to handle and light enough for you to lift it up higher walls and get through fences.... If I could lift the front wheels onto something, it was going up it.... I would say that this is pretty much the perfect mower for you.... The one thing though is the price.... Yes, it looks very clean and I know it's a great unit but I think you should go in there with a grand cash and tell him to give it to you. Tell him that used Scag's on C list are a dime a dozen and your buddy (me) just picked up a Scag SWZU 48 in. cut for 900 big ones... Absolutely true, mine came with a sulky and well... Oh yeah, as for items prone to breakage on this unit..... Ummmmmmm... wellllllll...... Catch my drift... Keep the oil changed, keep it greased, keep a couple belts on the trailer. Speaking of belts.... These units are great because they have belts and you don't have to deal with expensive hydros.... Are hydros a little easier on the hands? Sure, but you gotta get your man hands at some point in life right? Go to the Scag website and watch the Scag 30th anniversary commercial, the long edition..... This commercial will get you so dang pumped up not only to represent the Scag Nation but to be out mowing and maintaining in the green industry... And finally, just like my all time favorite company Walker, "Made in the U.S.A" enough said...
You're enthusiasm for scag seems to be shared by everyone I talk to. The only problem I might have is that i don't think there is a Scag dealer near me. That could probably be worked around though. I would really like to buy the one I posted, but I agree that he wants a bit too much for it. Especially since I would have to buy a velke, and I think those run a couple hundred... The other problem, as I stated earlier, is that I don't have the cash at the moment. However, if he would take a grand for it I could probably get the money. I reallyu think a 36" walk behind ans velke would suit my needs very well for the moment. It would actually be even better if they would just stop making 36" gates... What a pain!

Should I get a 1-wheel Velke or a 2-wheel (I think they call those sulkys)? What are some pros/cons between the 2? Sorry for all the questions, but I have never operated a walk behind.

I'm going to do some serious marketing next spring. Going Door to door, fliers, signs etc. I'd like to get about 35-40 properties and maybe hire a buddy to help me out. I don't graduate till spring 2015, and need to make some good money in the meantime.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In all honesty, yes, it would be nice to have a Scag dealer close, however, Scag parts are super easy to get and most Small engine guys can work them because they are just Walk behinds you know? I wouldn't even worry about service though because they never need it! Listen up to this advice too...... You don't need a Sulky, Velke, Chariot.... Whatever the heck people call them! Yes, these are helpful on large properties but the stuff you are doing, You don't even need one believe me.... Do you have any idea how much faster that Scag is than your 21 inch that you currently have? It's night and day buddy.... I wouldn't even worry about it and just "walk behind" for now.... You will still be waaaaaay more efficient than you are now....
Old 07-25-2013, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Member

That thing is a steal. Scags in my area never that nice. Nor that good of a price.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's a great mower but I think its a little too much money. Keep searching on CL and don't be scared to take a nice drive to go pick one up because in the end it will be worth it. Sometimes I drive 8 hours round-trip to pick up mowers or trailers.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If I may suggest, go try this out ASAP. When set up right these work pretty well. A bit long, so some height transitions are sketchy. But they cut well, pull a sulky, fit virtually all gates (36" mowers don't fit 36" gates easily.) and only one blade to sharpen.

http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/grd/3946332814.html

I can't say this loud enough: T-bar controls make pistol grips look STUPID. Way easier on the operator. And this thing will be cutting seasons after these 30" timemasters are dead.

Bought one for a few hundred bucks years ago. Best little money maker I've ever had. And yes, I still have it.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Member

I found this on CL today and its 45 mins away from me.
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/grd/3924145879.html
Are the prolines pretty good mowers? I can tell from pics that its not as beefy as the scag, but do they hold up/cut pretty well? Should I try to make a move on this or wait on the toro?
Old 07-26-2013, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefcam864 View Post
Are the prolines pretty good mowers? I can tell from pics that its not as beefy as the scag, but do they hold up/cut pretty well? Should I try to make a move on this or wait on the toro?
That mower is a Hydro so thats a huge plus, not too expensive. I think its worth it
Old 07-26-2013, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefcam864 View Post
That mower is a Hydro so thats a huge plus, not too expensive. I think its worth it