Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-18-2013, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

You betcha......
Old 07-18-2013, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I feel like I keep reading more and more similar stories (on lawnsite) of business like you just posted of yours. The common denominator has been all these businesses have become successful... You do fantastic work and have a great work ethic for your business. Just like the others I've read I feel you are just on the horizon of enjoying what you have built. All the hard work has been paying off and just like you said everyone is getting older. I think back to when I had a chance to possible do something with my business. I chose to stay a simpler path (part time) and now have children and am envious of the paths many of you have taken to be able to have this business working for you instead of you working for it.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

what a great thread. keep it up and dont stop

Rhode Island Landscapers Thread:
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=367380
Old 07-19-2013, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks.

I'm nobody special but it has been, and is, a lot of hard work. My operations manager tells me of a tree company he worked for and the owner kept it at two crews. He stayed profitable, he took vacations, spent a lot of time with his family and is a successful person. For now, it's just me and I don't want to have just trucks and a business ten years from now. I know a contractor who has a big company with probably 150 trucks, he's very successful and lives by himself with 3 dogs in a 10,000sq ft house. Great guy but I would hate to be like that. The best part is I still catch him running a rubber tire loader and you'd probably think the guy didn't have two pennies to rub together. More isn't always better but I enjoy providing jobs to people and I love building things. I'm not building patios myself anymore, I'm building a business. It's really just what you want to get out of it. I still want a Corvette though.....one day
Old 07-19-2013, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Keep up the good work
Old 07-23-2013, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Thats awesome man congrats to all your hardwork.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Installing a privacy planting for a customer. A full landscape and patio etc will follow in the coming weeks. Some truck eye candy too since I've had a few questions. We have two of the roll off trucks that we run and will probably add #3 next year, we'll see. It's actually cheaper to put one of those trucks together vs paying for a dump body to be built/installed. We have a Chevy 4500 dump truck that we run around too, but it is in the shop getting repainted.
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2013, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

do your homework for next year's 3rd truck. The newer Internationals have been having alotta problems, engine problems. As a result many school bus companies are switching from International to Freightliner. A good many of our racing friends with coaches / motorhomes with newer international chassis are leaving them sit.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

This one is a 2002 (466) and the other is a 1997 (7.3L). Both of these have been great for me and I've heard of some issues with the newer ones. I don't know what truck #3 will be but the M2 Freightliner is pretty sweet. I've got a 2005(?) International with a freshly rebuilt engine but it's a plow truck that doesn't see much action. It does run good though.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

More pics of the low pro! The big one is under cdl right?