Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-26-2013, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I disagree. First I do install fabric on new installs when requested. But I inform the client over time sediment will build up on top of the fabric causing weeds to be able to root on top of the fabric. It is better to inform a client about these issues then just walk away. I see landscapers walk away then their old client come to us. They love inform them and still let them make the decision. I see too many landscapers feeling that the decision on peoples properties is their choice. That is far from the truth. I am highly respected due my experience, education in horticulture, and my way of treating customers where they get my knowledge but still respect their wishes.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Landscape fabric is probably the biggest scam in the industry.

I have 4-5 layers or more in my plant holding area with no mulch and no dirt and still have weeds growing through it.

Use it under stones, otherwise you're wasting time and money.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 07-26-2013, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Fabric is not a forever solution but quality fabric does help for few seasons if properly install over lapping and sod pinned. The truth should be told to the client to many landscapers up sell it to client as a permanent solution. Only purpose I always recommend it is in ground cover beds where it helps hold weeds back so it can establish decently.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Even under stones, the fabric will impede water getting into the root zone... Be sure to put down enough water to soak through the fabric when irrigating, otherwise it may be doing more evaporating than percolating...
Old 08-02-2013, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

mascape,
I am trying to understand that sod pinning and proper overlapping is a plus for impeding weed encroachment?
I agree to disagree when it comes to using cheaper varieties of ticket store geotextiles. Nursery quality fabric is out of most customer scopes of budget and isn't worth the effort to upsell in most cases.
There isn't a fabric on the market that doesn't allow bermuda or zoysia rhizomes to settle in. These fabrics may make hand weeding more easier yet, I have seen too many horrific scenes of plant root twisting, and strangulation to consider the use of these products. So, other than to upsell and make money, I disagree that these fabrics have a place in residential landscapes. Commercial and Industrial sites is another story.