Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-23-2013, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That is really nice and it is lower to the ground then some I see. But what in the heck are you hauling around all those mowers The cab only seats two right?
Old 07-23-2013, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Truck Looks Great!
Old 07-23-2013, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Good observation on the tread orientation. Actually, in order to have the treads run lengthwise, would require an additional 24 feet of 2''x2'' tubing. This is because the ends of the treads need to be welded to something. The design I came up with uses the least amount of steel, does not compromise strength and only minimally compromises grip. These treads have the little shark teeth. Although they would indeed grip better running lengthwise, I have never had a grip issue. The incline is very easy to work with. The ramps are 8 feet long and the back of the deck is only 28'' off the ground.

ed2hess, We (my wife and I) are a two person crew. There are four mowers. Two JD JX85s and two JS63 residential mulching mowers. The baggers only come off the truck for two jobs out of the week. Those two customers compost the clippings. The rest of the week we fly along with those nice light mulchers and never have to touch any clippings.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Cool set-up!
Old 07-23-2013, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I feel quite confident

That you could make money selling trucks set up like that. I loved my NPR's, have had 6 of them in the past when I worked in retail, and can't imagine a much more durable truck. We were only let down once, and I think a former employee had something to do with that - Driveshaft came undone at the rear diff...

If not interested in making more like that, can you provide plans for those of us who think we may have the skill set to make one like it? (note, I don't think I do, but damn I have truck envy right now.)
Old 07-27-2013, 01:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpete View Post
That you could make money selling trucks set up like that. I loved my NPR's, have had 6 of them in the past when I worked in retail, and can't imagine a much more durable truck. We were only let down once, and I think a former employee had something to do with that - Driveshaft came undone at the rear diff...

If not interested in making more like that, can you provide plans for those of us who think we may have the skill set to make one like it? (note, I don't think I do, but damn I have truck envy right now.)
Where's the actual pics of you building it?
Old 07-27-2013, 01:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some pics of you building?
Old 07-27-2013, 03:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Here is the naked truck just after I got it. You can see I have already cut all my steel to length.

Here is the basic frame of the deck. It's 16 feet long and eight feet wide with the rub rails in place. Notice how I dropped the rear four feet of the deck but kept the side rails straight al the way to the back.

Those pics are from about five years ago, just after I finished building my shop. The truck was the first project in there. I actually started out taking pictures but as I got more into the build I found less time for that. I was in a hurry to get it finished before the start of the mowing season. I have a few more. If there is something in particular you would like to see, just ask. I'll see If I can dig up a picture.

This is what it looks like in my shop these days. I'm always fixing something on this side of the shop and building stuff on the other side.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I want that shop.... That welder is really nice

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 07-27-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

That is one of the cleanest setups I have ever seen here. Very nice. The Miller 200 is an awesome welder. I've welded with one several times. It or something along those lines in on my list of dream tools.

Veritas and æquitas