Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-25-2013, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

3.7 hours on one gallon

I finally got my maintenance meter installed on my ex30 last night and today I was finally able to get a accurate run time per gallon. The 33" mower it's replacing would have used over two gallons.

"non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other livings beings, we are still savages. THOMAS EDISON
Old 07-25-2013, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Meter

Where do you get a meter at? I have the toro turfmaster! I love it can run forever on 1gal of fuel and cuts GREAT!
Old 07-25-2013, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The one I got is made by Briggs & stratton. I bought off of amazon for about $23. I'm pretty sure that I have seen them at ace hardware stores. It sure makes scheduled maintenance easier.

"non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other livings beings, we are still savages. THOMAS EDISON
Old 07-26-2013, 06:53 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegandude View Post
The one I got is made by Briggs & stratton. I bought off of amazon for about $23. I'm pretty sure that I have seen them at ace hardware stores. It sure makes scheduled maintenance easier.
Just for a push mower?
Old 07-26-2013, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Member

The toro/exmark 30s are very fuel efficient. If there is not much growth i have knocked out as many as 5 regular size lawns in one tank, with a timemaster's small tank. I trim first and mow fast and can't believe how little fuel it goes through.

Now i want an hour meter.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
Just for a push mower?
Why would you not put an hour meter on the mower that you use for 98 percent of your lawns. My lawns are small to medium-sized residential and on some a 30 is getting up there as to being to big. My favorite is my nine minute,$19 lawn, used to be 13 minutes with my 26.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I finally got my maintenance meter installed on my ex30 last night and today I was finally able to get a accurate run time per gallon. The 33" mower it's replacing would have used over two gallons.
That's impressive. So, did you run it dry and fill with one gallon and run it dry yet again?
(guessing so, but thought I'd ask )

Similar to your 33", this is over twice the hours/gallon than what my 16hp Kaw KAI ('07) achieved running a 32" wb mower. Though, I've not checked it in a few years.

I looked at Kaw's site, and fwiw that FJ180 is 179cc = 10.9 cubic inches and ~30 lbs propelling a 170 lb mower ... and my 16hp is 603cc = 36.8 cubic inches and ~81 lbs propelling a 340 lb mower.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 07-27-2013, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
That's impressive. So, did you run it dry and fill with one gallon and run it dry yet again?
(guessing so, but thought I'd ask )

Similar to your 33", this is over twice the hours/gallon than what my 16hp Kaw KAI ('07) achieved running a 32" wb mower. Though, I've not checked it in a few years.

I looked at Kaw's site, and fwiw that FJ180 is 179cc = 10.9 cubic inches and ~30 lbs propelling a 170 lb mower ... and my 16hp is 603cc = 36.8 cubic inches and ~81 lbs propelling a 340 lb mower.
Currently I am running dry and writing down time. The fuel savings is just blowing me away. My 33 has a 15hp kohler command pro on it and it just sucks fuel. This mower is actually faster than my big mower, I'm just loving it

Old 07-27-2013, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Why would you not put an hour meter on the mower that you use for 98 percent of your lawns. My lawns are small to medium-sized residential and on some a 30 is getting up there as to being to big. My favorite is my nine minute,$19 lawn, used to be 13 minutes with my 26.
I guess because it doesn't take but a few minutes to change the oil. That's about all there is to service on them outside the air filter.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I find your posts to be a wealth Vegandude. I currently own the Timemaster and my goal is to eventually purchase either the Exmark or Toro commercial as these mowers are the perfect size for over half of my lawns. I sold my BOP Quick 36 in June and my plan is to build my future lawn bids and direction with the 30 inch mower in mind. My question to you is twofold. 1. Do you feel it would be wise to make a purchase on a commercial 30 this year, given the possible changes that could be made next year to deck design, tranny, or even engine? and 2. A big part of my biz is fall leaf cleanup, which most of the time just involves me mulching my customers leaves on a weekly basis through the 1st part of Dec. Do you feel that the Exmark has a enough power or torque for that kind of work? It would be a light to moderate sheet of leaves on the lawn each time. Frankly, I love the Timemaster, but I question it's ability to do this.
Thank you.
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower
Toro & Ariens snowblowers

"I mow alone, with nobody else. Yes you know when I mow alone, I prefer to be by myself." Matt Thorogood

"All those in the memorial tombs will come out" -John 5:28

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them"- Revelation 20:13