Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-26-2013, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Working 7 days a week 14 hours a day, if you worked those hours for someone else making $12 per hour, you would make $80,000 per year with all that overtime AND probably that would include paid vacations, paid sick days and HEALTH INSURANCE.

JC Lawn, you received a LOT of good recommendations. Are you doing any of them? Like documenting the time it takes to do each lawn, driving time between each lawn, etc. Like MANY other posters said, you need to STOP and step back and see who and what makes money. Is your driving time with routing REALLY as efficient as possible or is there room for improvement, meaning are you driving near the same areas 2 or 3 times per week instead of only 1 time per week.

When you started 3 years ago, I'm sure like all of us, you took any business you could get. Now its time to stop that thinking and worry about profit not just taking anything that comes your way. Its very good you are realizing something is wrong, it will take time and energy to fix it.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesturf View Post
Working 7 days a week 14 hours a day, if you worked those hours for someone else making $12 per hour, you would make $80,000 per year with all that overtime AND probably that would include paid vacations, paid sick days and HEALTH INSURANCE.

JC Lawn, you received a LOT of good recommendations. Are you doing any of them? Like documenting the time it takes to do each lawn, driving time between each lawn, etc. Like MANY other posters said, you need to STOP and step back and see who and what makes money. Is your driving time with routing REALLY as efficient as possible or is there room for improvement, meaning are you driving near the same areas 2 or 3 times per week instead of only 1 time per week.

When you started 3 years ago, I'm sure like all of us, you took any business you could get. Now its time to stop that thinking and worry about profit not just taking anything that comes your way. Its very good you are realizing something is wrong, it will take time and energy to fix it.
Trust me I've thought about working on a oil rig or something with how hard I work. I've been working more by myself latley so I have been doing a lot of thinking. I've talked to one person on here, my dad, and a customer of mine who manages service tecks in a medical field. Here is were I am at. I need a over haul on my type of customers. I need to move away from being a mow and blow business and start providing full service which would reduce overhead and increase profits. Also means fewer customers and less hrs I need to work so I can focus and managing my company instead of my company managing me. With this my company image needs a overhaul. I've already prepared for it in college with the website doname name I reserved. The name I have on here kind of was my company name in high school, its change is a more professonal name and fits a full service company well. I just need to build the brand name and adjust my services to fit it.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

try to get feelers out there and find out what is needed, but not offered, or done well... Like I've said, we have somewhat of a niche when it comes to brush hogging around here. There are other LCOs that have tractors, but either they don't have a brush hog, or they dont' want to fool with it. I just realized we've done 4 jobs this week alone. Maybe it's just this year... But if you can find that market that's lacking...
Old 07-26-2013, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
try to get feelers out there and find out what is needed, but not offered, or done well... Like I've said, we have somewhat of a niche when it comes to brush hogging around here. There are other LCOs that have tractors, but either they don't have a brush hog, or they dont' want to fool with it. I just realized we've done 4 jobs this week alone. Maybe it's just this year... But if you can find that market that's lacking...
That goes for $40 a hour here and your competing with farmers who have 80-120hp tractors and 8ft brush hogs.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Here's an easy solution.
Where you livedo you HAVE to be "licensed" to mow and cut lawns? If not get rid of that and just get a license to do the more deeper landscaping things like planting and spraying of chemicals. Renovating flower beds and etc. That would save you some money. IMO, you don't and shouldn't need to be licensed to cut grass. It's good to be i guess just in case you break something but how often does that happen.

So now that and if you can drop that payement that frees up money in your pocket. Pay off the machine and just pay for the necessary stuff.

Get rid of your bad employees and either keep one current one or get someone you know like a close friend that needs a job. He can weed wack while you mow. Who ever gets done first grab the blower and blow off already done areas. Leave in one truck, with one employee/friend that you know. AND be making more money.

If you have to drop a few accounts drop the smaller less profitable ones, and even better yet try to sell them to another company you know. Get a little easy money and say bye bye to them. While you're on your way to a nice chunk of a property to make more money.

Just an idea for you.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJW_692 View Post
Here's an easy solution.
Where you livedo you HAVE to be "licensed" to mow and cut lawns? If not get rid of that and just get a license to do the more deeper landscaping things like planting and spraying of chemicals. Renovating flower beds and etc. That would save you some money. IMO, you don't and shouldn't need to be licensed to cut grass. It's good to be i guess just in case you break something but how often does that happen.

So now that and if you can drop that payement that frees up money in your pocket. Pay off the machine and just pay for the necessary stuff.

Get rid of your bad employees and either keep one current one or get someone you know like a close friend that needs a job. He can weed wack while you mow. Who ever gets done first grab the blower and blow off already done areas. Leave in one truck, with one employee/friend that you know. AND be making more money.

If you have to drop a few accounts drop the smaller less profitable ones, and even better yet try to sell them to another company you know. Get a little easy money and say bye bye to them. While you're on your way to a nice chunk of a property to make more money.

Just an idea for you.
Only thing you have to be licensed for is pecidces and herbicides and structural stuff.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
Only thing you have to be licensed for is pecidces and herbicides and structural stuff.
Yea you could just get a license for that IF you decide that you wanna do that stuff.
And then if you drop your employees you won't need to pay all the liability and whatever else you're paying for. There is lots of room to free up and gain a lot more money just doing those couple of things.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJW_692 View Post
Yea you could just get a license for that IF you decide that you wanna do that stuff.
And then if you drop your employees you won't need to pay all the liability and whatever else you're paying for. There is lots of room to free up and gain a lot more money just doing those couple of things.
True green has 90 percent of the chemical market and I would need to do structural masonry to need a license and that does not pay all that well here.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you need to learn the old timers in this business' key word "NO". Such as:

"Will you mow my lawn?" - "Yes I will"
"Will you you mow it for X?" - "NO I won't, I will mow it for 2X!"
"My last guy did" - "So call him back!"

Just jokes sort of but how many times have you heard something like it?
Old 07-27-2013, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

So thought this morning. Has anyone crunched this number before but if you lawns range from 10 to 20 min appart is it cheaper to run 2 guys in one truck or 2 trucks with 1 person. I was thinking this morning that even in town its on average 10 min with stop signs and stop lights and you save 5-10 min on small lawns. If you drop trailer and mow 5 lawns ya 2 people in a truck are the way to go but what about the other?