Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-27-2013, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Member

New to the business

Just wanted to say thanks to all here for the great information I have learded over the past few weeks. I finally registered so I can ask a few questions as the need arises. I've decided to jump into the lawn care business as a side job in addition to my full time job, see what happens, and maybe grow into something more. I'm looking into learning more and hopefully be ready to start next spring. What ideas to you guys have for a complete startup for the fall? I'm planning on going door to door in my nearby neighborhoods to try to find potential customers for next year, I'm thinking realistically trying to find 10-15 regular customers. I am going to contact my realtor, insurance company, and a local contractor to see if they could provide any leads. Thanks again and in advance for the great information posted on this site
Old 07-27-2013, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate2814 View Post
Just wanted to say thanks to all here for the great information I have learded over the past few weeks. I finally registered so I can ask a few questions as the need arises. I've decided to jump into the lawn care business as a side job in addition to my full time job, see what happens, and maybe grow into something more. I'm looking into learning more and hopefully be ready to start next spring. What ideas to you guys have for a complete startup for the fall? I'm planning on going door to door in my nearby neighborhoods to try to find potential customers for next year, I'm thinking realistically trying to find 10-15 regular customers. I am going to contact my realtor, insurance company, and a local contractor to see if they could provide any leads. Thanks again and in advance for the great information posted on this site
Just don't ever cut yourself short because your new
Old 07-27-2013, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Cut myself short as in pricing?
Old 07-27-2013, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Cut myself short as in pricing?
Yes that's what I meant. Its about the number 1 mistake for those who come into the industry.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Member

I live in an area of mostly 1 acre +/- and to be honest, I don't have much of an idea. I am several months away from actually purchasing equipment (trimmer, edger, blower, and mower(s)). I have no intentions of being "that guy" who calls and says "I can beat that price". This is intended to be a financial supplement to my full time job so I won't be solely relying on this business to pay the bills. I have about $10k that I think would be a wise investment into possibly creating my own business down the line. Sorry for the ramble, lol, just thinking out loud.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I live in an area of mostly 1 acre +/- and to be honest, I don't have much of an idea. I am several months away from actually purchasing equipment (trimmer, edger, blower, and mower(s)). I have no intentions of being "that guy" who calls and says "I can beat that price". This is intended to be a financial supplement to my full time job so I won't be solely relying on this business to pay the bills. I have about $10k that I think would be a wise investment into possibly creating my own business down the line. Sorry for the ramble, lol, just thinking out loud.
You can do a lot with 10k.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
You can do a lot with 10k.
The idea is to buy new high quality handheld equipment. I'm planning on looking for a smaller used wb and a 48" used ztr. Any thoughts or suggestions as to a different initial plan? As I gain more info, I'll have a better idea. But that is my early plan
Old 07-27-2013, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Imo you have enought money to buy a 52inch ztr and a 33 inch wb and that will leave you set for anything under 5 acres
Old 07-27-2013, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Member

That is close to what I had in mind from reading these posts. I have looked at ztr's from every dealer in town and I really don't think I could go wrong with any for what I have in mind. Exmark, Scag, Ferris... I'm thinking about an entry level comm grade, something with full comm quality deck, engine... the important stuff. I can easily live without all the bells and whistles for now. The idea being 1)cheaper up front and 2)it would make a great backup mower down the line if I get to the point that I actually need a larger more heavy built machine. As to the walk behinds, I know much less about having never used them. Key things to look for? Again I plan to go the used route so I'll be scouring craigslist and dealer demo units