Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-27-2013, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
I was quite impressed at the finish of the lawn afterwards. The VX4 left some ugly clumps on this place, even with only 4 weeks of winter growth!
What time of day was this being cut (early morning, mid morning, or afternoon), was that moisture or dust being discharged? This appears in the video to be what I consider a flat cutting area (correct me if I'm wrong), and I could hear the rpms dropping when you would first push the sticks full forward. I would not think the hydraulics would pull the big Vanguard in that manner, can you explain what may cause this, it could very well be you are on more of an incline that what appears, and throwing the shorter cutting into the equation may add up to the drop. Then there is always that chance the mower sounds different when being heard outside of sitting in the seat when operating.

This appears to be grass that is not growing very fast, and you are taking a small amount off, but while cutting at a lower height, is this correct?

What types of grasses are on this property, you appear to have some grass that looks more brown as if it was trying to go, or already has gone dormant, as would Bermuda in out area once the days become shorter and nights cooler?

Last edited by puppypaws; 07-27-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
What time of day was this being cut (early morning, mid morning, or afternoon), was that moisture or dust being discharged? This appears in the video to be what I consider a flat cutting area (correct me if I'm wrong), and I could hear the rpms dropping when you would first push the sticks full forward. I would not think the hydraulics would pull the big Vanguard in that manner, can you explain what may cause this, it could very well be you are on more of an incline that what appears, and throwing the shorter cutting into the equation may add up to the drop. Then there is always that chance the mower sounds different when being heard outside of sitting in the seat when operating.

This appears to be grass that is not growing very fast, and you are taking a small amount off, but while cutting at a lower height, is this correct?

What types of grasses are on this property, you appear to have some grass that looks more brown as if it was trying to go, or already has gone dormant, as would Bermuda in out area once the days become shorter and nights cooler?
I was cutting at 1:30pm (checked the video properties) but it was moisture your seeing thrown out, being winter time the grass doesn't completely dry out from the early morning dew/frosts, unless its very windy.

I was cutting at 2.5" which is the same height cut here each time, so that would be no different from you cutting your grass at 3" every cut. The only time cutting lower will "labour" a mower out of the ordinary, is if the grass hasn't been cut at that level on a regular basis, so it will be more dense down low & in most cases youll get some yellowing/scalping. Im sure you know what I mean.

The reason I would explain the rpms dropping is me pushing the mower too hard! If I wasn't trying to show the speed of the mower on smooth ground, which was main reason for the video, then I would be accelerating more gentle. I was basically asking the mower to go from 0 to full speed instantly, so the hydros & cutting grass at the same time are enough in this case to drop the rpms. I think it handled it extremely well though, I was really pushing it hard. If I compare that to the Scag Cheetah, boy the rpms would drop maybe 1/4 if I attempted to use it like that. But the gearing would be a little lower on that.

Generally I will accelerate gradually, just to preserve fuel, save wear & tear on everything, also it takes some energy to mow with such enthusiasm like that so I only did it for the video.

The grass types are mostly kikuya, not too sure what that's called over there? Ill pay more attention to the other grasses mixed in here the next time Im on the property, atm its on a monthly schedule (winter) which is why the grass has lost all its colour, frost has hit it. cold nights, very little growth, what your looking at is 4 weeks growth through the mid of winter.

There is actually a stringy type of grass in the mix, that's the brown areas in the video, this stuff would really "bog" down my old Dixon with 21hp & 52" deck. However the rpms dropping as u suggest was only when accelerating & there is very little to none of this stuff in the areas I was turning around/taking off. The other thing to keep in mind here is the winter growth, so in the summer within 2 weeks (which is the schedule for this prop) that grass would be 3-4 times in length. So accelerating full speed wont be possible at that time & quite possibly cutting at 12 mph wont be likely either. I will have to take a video of this in about 3-4months.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I was cutting at 1:30pm (checked the video properties) but it was moisture your seeing thrown out, being winter time the grass doesn't completely dry out from the early morning dew/frosts, unless its very windy.

I was cutting at 2.5" which is the same height cut here each time, so that would be no different from you cutting your grass at 3" every cut. The only time cutting lower will "labour" a mower out of the ordinary, is if the grass hasn't been cut at that level on a regular basis, so it will be more dense down low & in most cases youll get some yellowing/scalping. Im sure you know what I mean.

The reason I would explain the rpms dropping is me pushing the mower too hard! If I wasn't trying to show the speed of the mower on smooth ground, which was main reason for the video, then I would be accelerating more gentle. I was basically asking the mower to go from 0 to full speed instantly, so the hydros & cutting grass at the same time are enough in this case to drop the rpms. I think it handled it extremely well though, I was really pushing it hard. If I compare that to the Scag Cheetah, boy the rpms would drop maybe 1/4 if I attempted to use it like that. But the gearing would be a little lower on that.

Generally I will accelerate gradually, just to preserve fuel, save wear & tear on everything, also it takes some energy to mow with such enthusiasm like that so I only did it for the video.

The grass types are mostly kikuya, not too sure what that's called over there? Ill pay more attention to the other grasses mixed in here the next time Im on the property, atm its on a monthly schedule (winter) which is why the grass has lost all its colour, frost has hit it. cold nights, very little growth, what your looking at is 4 weeks growth through the mid of winter.

There is actually a stringy type of grass in the mix, that's the brown areas in the video, this stuff would really "bog" down my old Dixon with 21hp & 52" deck. However the rpms dropping as u suggest was only when accelerating & there is very little to none of this stuff in the areas I was turning around/taking off. The other thing to keep in mind here is the winter growth, so in the summer within 2 weeks (which is the schedule for this prop) that grass would be 3-4 times in length. So accelerating full speed wont be possible at that time & quite possibly cutting at 12 mph wont be likely either. I will have to take a video of this in about 3-4months.
That will be interesting, I honestly don't foresee any type cutting you do giving the 36 Vanguard any problem. From the small amount of time you've run the 3100 so far, would you consider it to be the best mower you've ever owned and operated, there's no doubt it gives the best ride?
Old 07-27-2013, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
You guys are making me soooo jealous.
Your not alone there mate!

Nice vids guys, keep them coming!
I was kind of blown away by the speed of that thing, wasnt expecting that!
Old 07-27-2013, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Your not alone there mate!

Nice vids guys, keep them coming!
I was kind of blown away by the speed of that thing, wasnt expecting that!
It sure looked like it was hauling the freight didn't it? That is just one sweet ride IMO. I wish I would have went with one when I looked at them before buying last year. The long distance and having to drive through a couple larger cities/urban areas to get to the closest dealers if I needed anything was the biggest reason I didn't.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Here is some kikuyu grass that I couldn't get to during the floods of 2010/11.
From memory it was about 4 weeks growth up on the mountains. Normal mowing interval is 2 weeks but I'd like to do it every 7-10 days but the owners won't come at that.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
Here is some kikuyu grass that I couldn't get to during the floods of 2010/11.
From memory it was about 4 weeks growth up on the mountains. Normal mowing interval is 2 weeks but I'd like to do it every 7-10 days but the owners won't come at that.

Is that one of the tougher grasses to cut in your area? Stock blades still? Opinions so far on the new machine?
Old 07-27-2013, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Member

It's not so tough to cut if it is done often enough Ridin'. Where I do these lawns on the mountains, it is a holiday destination and tourist season is winter time(when the grass doesn't grow). Come summer, grass grows madly but no rental income for the owners, so they hate spending money at that time and the mowing is kept to a bare minimum(every 2 weeks).
Up there you get mist and dews every morning so the kikuyu, even at 2 weeks never really dries out properly to get a really nice finish.
The toughest grass I mow(and roughest) is African love grass but even that's not too bad if done often enough.

I won't get much time on the Ferris until about end Sept. Until then I'll only get a few ferals or whip the seedheads off some others.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

A mate of mine fitted a primer bulb onto his fuel line. I wonder if one of those would help with the re starts.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
A mate of mine fitted a primer bulb onto his fuel line. I wonder if one of those would help with the re starts.
Mick, do you have problems with restarts if a tank runs empty on your 35?