Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-26-2013, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone else have any experience with the Toro Proline's? I really want a Scag because I have literally NEVER heard a bad word spoken about their build/cut quality, but this Toro does seem pretty nice. I'm not sure if it's hydro or not. Looking on the website, they make hydro and standard, and they both look the same. I do like the T-bar controls. I had to push a 32ish degree hill today with my Husqvarna. It did the trick, but it only stiffened my resolve to get a small, commercial walk behind. I got my butt kicked!
Old 07-26-2013, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

That is def a hydro bud and while I think the Scag would be better for you, that is a really good deal right there as well and who knows if that guys would even come down on price for that scag you know?
Old 07-26-2013, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Member

It sounds like I better try to get this thing then. I'll have to see about getting the money. One of the things that suck about being in college is that it seems like I'm either broke, or about to be broke...lol! I quit my job as a plant manager at an industrial belting company to go back to school 2-1/2 yrs ago, and have been scraping ever since. It's embarrassing that I don't have $900 laying around.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Do not be embarrassed at all man! You are running a good business there buddy, you have more clients than a lot of folks that claim "landscape company owner" The wheels are turning for you and if you don't get a commercial walk behind this month, you will get it one of the months down the road.... it's inevitable..
Old 07-27-2013, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you for the encouragement! I talked to a friend, and can get the money if I want it, so That's taken care of. I'm kind of curious why the Toro looks like it has a stamped deck? All of the new WB's on their website definitely have fabricated decks... I guess my main concern would be if it is tough and whether or not I could put a grass catcher on it. I really would like to have the option of bagging, as it really leaves a neater look. Armsden, if you have any input on this I'd certainly appreciate it. I really do like the T-bar controls after researching them. They seem like they'd be much more comfortable than pistol grips. This next question might seem stupid, but I'm assuming the Proline would leave a better cut than My Time cutter. Am I correct in this assumption? I've been working really hard lately to learn how to make a yard look as good as I possibly can (I like to be able to point out a yard to a prospective customer and not be worried about it). I think my time cutter is good residential machine, but it leaves a little to be desired in terms of finish...
Old 07-27-2013, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Here's the link again:
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/grd/3924145879.html
Old 07-28-2013, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

To be honest, I like the smaller Toro WBs. 32"-44". They are a stamped deck. I've seen a lot of the 52" with deck issues. Haven't had the chance to compare them back to back with a timemaster, but Toro Prolines generally cut very well. An yes, most will take a bagger if needed.

The 32-44" Toro t-bars are great little money makers. And the stamped steel decks are very heavy, and cut great in the wet. There were some "Turbo force decks that don't seem to do as well in the wet. Never had one though.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. I've sent an email to the guy, but haven't receieved a response yet. He didn't list a phone number. If it's still available, I'm gonna scoop it up and put it to work.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hey bud, you can absolutely put a catcher on that baby. There are a few companies that make grass catchers now-a-days.... one of my favorites being "Accelerator" ..... You might have to drill a hole or two but it's a great option for people who demand the clippings be picked up. I collect, so I run Accelerator catchers on my walk behinds... I have never run one of those Prolines but a lot of folks swear by them.... I mean, they are a Toro.... I don't think you can go to a golf course in the United States, go to the grounds crew's garage, open the door.... and not see the word "TORO" on something... Good name, dependable.... I wouldn't worry about the stamped deck thing... by the looks of the pictures the frame looks sturdy as heck...
Yes, the cut quality will surely be better than your TimeMaster simply because the Proline has a bigger deck, a bigger engine, and therefore more suction which coupled with blade sharpness, is really what gives you your QOC. (quality of cut) That's why people rave about Honda 21's right? Honda 21's are one of the only 21 in. mowers out there that have the power and the aero-dynamics and physics down to where the cut is unbelievable.... But, they are about a grand or more and for that kind of money, why not buy a used commercial walk behind? Which brings us back to you! Hahaha.... Let us know if you are "pulling the trigger!"
Old 07-28-2013, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm definitely pulling the trigger if its still available. Unfortunately, the seller did not list a phone number, and he still has not responded to my email( just sent it this morning, so I wouldn't expect a response), so I'll just have to wait and see if its still there. I'm trying to not let myself get too excited about it... Hopefully this will be my 1st commercial mower.
I don't use the Timemaster. For a grand that thing just doesn't make sense to me. Sure, it'd be a smidge faster than a 21", but I just can't see buying that over a walk behind I'm also not so sure about what happens when one of those "timed blades" hits an unseen obstacle. It may be a non-issue, and I think Toro probably thought it out, but I can see how that could be problematic. It seems a little underpowered to me as well. I often get neglected yards, and the extra HP is a freakin' lifesaver!I use a 42" Toro Timecutter ZTR and a Husqvarna 7021R(Honda engine, and hell for tough). The Toro is a residential model, and it is really not standing up to the abuse well at all, but it was never meant to... I've never been impressed with its QOC (learned a new acronym). It was my late father's and I got it when he passed. It has served me pretty well and made me some money.

Last edited by chefcam864; 07-28-2013 at 08:22 PM.