Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-27-2013, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Kohler 34 EFI

I've read where Kohler wants you to use 20w50 on the big blocks because of a certain code the engines are throwing. How much of a fuel reduction would come from using this weight oil ? This engine looks attractive if the bugs are worked out. The newer EFI engines should be a lot better.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Or how much more gas are you gonna use in this EFI engine using a heavier weight oil.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
Or how much more gas are you gonna use in this EFI engine using a heavier weight oil.
Lancaster, SC...I would say your area was washed away today, we've had 2 1/2" of rain and I'm 6 miles east of Monroe.

The only way to answer your question would be to check the fuel consumption with the 10W-30 versus the 20W-50. You would think Kohler would have this figured out before their engine was put into the consumer's hands.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Member

The rain just keeps on coming our way. I'm so far behind on shrubs this year. Trying to get the facts on these new engines before I spend a boat load of money on one. The Scag dealer had to send one of the 29 EFI engines back to Kohler because of numerous codes they couldn't figure out.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
The rain just keeps on coming our way. I'm so far behind on shrubs this year. Trying to get the facts on these new engines before I spend a boat load of money on one. The Scag dealer had to send one of the 29 EFI engines back to Kohler because of numerous codes they couldn't figure out.
Send a private message to "TLS" he is running the Kohler 34 efi, tell him you and I had spoken about the engine and I told you to contact him. He is running the engine on a new Exmark, but has run it long enough to talk about his likes and dislikes.

The news tonight said it rained 12" in Catawba County, NC today, and there were serious problems.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Some EFI's are throwing a code which prevents the upper power level and blade engagement. This only happens after a hot re-start. I work around it by simply turning off/on the key switch real quick. Works fine after that. I think it's a super sensitive oil pressure sending unit sending data to the ECM. One quick flicker of the oil pressure (I've never seen the light on ever!) and this trips you into limp mode (Only idle and mid speed with no blade engagement) eXmark is apparently working on a fix. In the mean time I found out here on Lawnsite about the thicker oil. I'm using Castrol Full synthetic 5w-50.

This is a BIG engine in a small engine compartment. I believe it's just a hot running engine. And to be honest, I felt as though the "normal" Kohler recommendation of a 10w-30 was going to be a bit thin for this engine.

I have probably 35 hrs since I switched over to this thicker Castrol....haven't noticed any difference in power or consumption. It does seem a bit quieter (valvetrain wise), but it is a much quieter engine then the smaller Kohler V-twins, which are a LOT quieter than the FX Kawi's.

Honestly, with mid 90 degree days on a 1 liter big block, I'm thinking Kohler made a good move suggesting this thicker oil.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980

Last edited by TLS; 07-27-2013 at 11:27 PM.