Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-10-2013, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Member

John Deere 335 Tractor

I have a customers tractor that I need a carburator float bowl to complete the repair.

It is for a Kawasaki engine Model FH601V Twin 20 HP. The current float bowl is not damaged, but I cannot get one of the main jet plugs out of the bowl. The plug is solid steel in an alloy casting. I have tried heat, cold, impact wrench, numerous oil release agents, including Kroil. Nothing will get the plug to release. Therefore, I need a new or used bowl.

I have searched the internet for a new bowl, but none of the sites list the bowl part number or availability. A new carb, PN JDAM13467 lists for $375.00.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 07-10-2013, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well...... You can get the float bowl as a assembly with everything shown below;

But..... It's still 200 bux......

http://www.gearhead.com/kawasaki-161...//16184-7006/1

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 07-26-2013, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Member

I got the carburator completely apart, cleaned, reassembled and mounted.
But another problem has developed.

The engne runs fine without using the mower, but when you engage the mower the engine bogs down dramaticlly. However, when I push the coke lever to about a third of the available movement, the engine picks up and the mower and tractor run smoothly.

I have removed and cleaned the pilot jets and they are fine. I reinstalled them to the settings as I found them, 3 1/2 turns from the bottom. I then tried 3 turns out, followed by 4 and 4 1/2 turns with little or no difference the the engines operation.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tony
Old 07-26-2013, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernon L View Post
when I push the coke lever to about a third of the available movement, the engine picks up and the mower and tractor run smoothly.

This indicates lean on the high speed circuit, Adjusting the low speed circuit in this case does nothing as you found out....... Spray some carb-choke cleaner around the intake gaskets and see if RPM's raise, If so replace the gaskets. If not.....The issue is in the main jets you couldn't get out......

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 07-26-2013, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Rob,

Thank you for the reply.

I did get the main jets out with the aid of a heat gun, a small impact driver and a 6 point socket. The mains are clean as a whistle. All new gaskets on the carb from the back to the front. No air leaks.

I am a little baffled.

Vernon
Old 07-26-2013, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sooo...... You replaced the intake manifold mounting gaskets (at heads) already ?

Did you run a small piece of wire through the tip of the slow speed jets letters D and E in my diagram ?

Did you replace the float bowl O-ring gasket ?

Is the fuel cut-off solenoid retracting the pin fully (test out of carb) ?

Have you checked/adjusted the valves ?

Just try'n to get to the bottom of it......

Old 07-27-2013, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Rob,

When I cleaned the Carb the 1st time, I did a through cleaning of every component and fuel circuits to insure they were functioning properly, but I did it again this AM.

I had installed all new gaskets and O rings the 1st teardown of the carb. I rechecked valve lash and it is between .003 & .005 thousanths.

After running the engine this morning I sprayed all around the carb for air leaks, none found. The fuel cutoff is functioning correctly.

What I did notice is that when running at full throttle and up a slight grade the engine would falter and I would have to give it a little choke and then it would run fine.

The same thing happens when the mower is engaged, only it is much worse. Requiring to run with the choke about halfway. I thing the engine is not getting enough fuel when a load is applied. I have a brand new fuel filter installed.

I'm beginning to believe it is the fuel pump.

Any thoughts.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well....... I don't recall a pump causing this type situation, They either work or don't work or leak fuel into the crankcase.

Pinch the fuel line off before the pump and gravity feed the carb with a test tank and see how it runs......

Old 07-28-2013, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Unless, I missed it, you responded to everything in Rob's post #5 except the intake gaskets on the heads--did you spray around them as well. Did you spray all around the carb mounting, including the bottom. Assuming your carb is cleaned properly, valves are right, etc--I'd say you're sucking air someplace. If the problem is fuel pump related, it may be that you have a bad vacuum hose from the head to the pump. As Rob indicated, most often the pump is either operable or it's not.

I didn't intend to walk in on the party, Rob--no offense.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

A little late to the party myself....
Check the short hose between the head and the fuelpump..
If the pulse tube leaks...fuelpump will be weak...

Ya know....that RestroRob seems very informative in all his posts....
I think he might be a mowmower technician.....