Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-28-2013, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colawnbarber View Post
you guys that are running solo...god forbid but what happens if you ever get hurt or something like that? And if your running solo you don't own a business you own a job, with out you the biz makes no money
I was in a bad traffic accident in June. Was back at work 5 days later.

If I broke a leg or something I'd probably be homeless, though.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 07-28-2013, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
solo is nice, but i think 2 people total would be able to potentially gross and net a lot more money with just one employee. for example, I gross 4000 a month mowing + sales tax it costs me 480 a month in gas and diesel to do my accounts. which can be done in 2 12 hour days if I am feeling really ambitious and its dry out, other wise i'm looking at 3 days of mowing, leaving me with at least 2 days open for "other work" if not even a 3rd and sometimes 4th day in the spring or fall. so solo i can and have net over 8000 pretty easily per month a few times. finding an extra 500 between 4 possible days really isn't that hard to do at all. for me it consists of asking my 23 customers if they are interested in having me do a number of things that need to be done, such as shrub pruning, mulching, weeding, brush clearing and removal. its really not hard. If I based my prices off trying to make 500 in an 8hr day I would get 95% of the jobs i ever went to do an estimate for. If I had one employee we could knock out 80 residential lawns in 4 days making me triple the money i was before and costing me next to nothing and add in a few mulch jobs for the week or shrub pruning and now because of this extra set of hands i'm able to make 15-16,000 a month instead of 8-10,000. I know it could work that way, because my buddy used to do it that way, and make that kind of money and I'm solo following in his foot steps. Its all about pricing, the economy and finding the right employee. I have the equipment, I have the market to support what I want, and I am the employee. I personally don't need help yet, but I'm not far away. I think 50 lawns a week for a 25 year old is pretty healthy, netting 8000 a month or more is very possible. my new goal for next year is to net 10,000 a month solo.
Or you could just mow those 3 days and go play golf the other days. Enjoy those off days!

I'm like you. I choose to not work past 1 pm, though. So, I spread out a similar work load over 5 days and I do not work weekends ever.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 07-28-2013, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstarblazer View Post
It does seem like we could make a lot of money in this business but for some reason I rarely see a solo guy who cuts lawns for a living having all the nice things that are customers have. Nice house, cars, extra money to do whatever you want, fancy vacations. etc..
Rich trappings, probably not paid for. Give me the "everything paid off" approach anyday. I could easily use a second person and the if they get sick or quit I will really be screwed. I have about 45 hours per week right now with winters off. So let me re-cap==nine months work
Three months time off
No responsibility for someone else
Everything paid off
HELL YEA, SIGN ME UP

"non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other livings beings, we are still savages. THOMAS EDISON
Old 07-28-2013, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
Or you could just mow those 3 days and go play golf the other days. Enjoy those off days!

I'm like you. I choose to not work past 1 pm, though. So, I spread out a similar work load over 5 days and I do not work weekends ever.
yah I want more though. I'm not happy with where I'm at. I have goals, and hobbies, and they require more money. So I will get more money to enjoy them
Old 07-28-2013, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegandude View Post
Rich trappings, probably not paid for. Give me the "everything paid off" approach anyday. I could easily use a second person and the if they get sick or quit I will really be screwed. I have about 45 hours per week right now with winters off. So let me re-cap==nine months work
Three months time off
No responsibility for someone else
Everything paid off
HELL YEA, SIGN ME UP
I adopted a cash only purchase policy for myself in 2006. No cash, no buy.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 07-28-2013, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
I adopted a cash only purchase policy for myself in 2006. No cash, no buy.
I had some real bad money problems 20 years ago, haven't borrowed much since then, and when I have I paid it off real quick.
I am going to have to borrow a little on a realestate deal im working on, I should be able to pay that back in a year.

If your asolo operator with good paid for equiptment you can make a real good living
Old 07-28-2013, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post

If your asolo operator with good paid for equiptment you can make a real good living
Very, very much so and it helps if you can do your own maintenance

"non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other livings beings, we are still savages. THOMAS EDISON