Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-29-2013, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Great news!! You wont find another machine with the combination of comfort, cut, and build quality IMO. Not to mention Gravely's customer service!! I would be happy to help you fine tune the deck as I have tried every possible baffle position. Mine is dialed in perfect for my conditions right now. Table top smooth finish and killer stripes. PSC has a 460 and would also be a great resource if you have questions. My next machine will be EFI for sure.

I just tried the baffles in the lowest position today and that is where it will stay. It poured in buckets around 11:30 last night so I started out the day at 7:30 in soaking wet crabgrass and had no trouble at all and the extra vacuum reminded me of an exmark. Very carpet smooth cut. My Hydros are still breaking in and as they do they are taking less and less power from my 29EFI. They are almost silent now. I used to be able to hear them whine like a biotch with my hearing protectors on. Now I cant hear them at all with the protectors on.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 07-29-2013, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
I just tried the baffles in the lowest position today and that is where it will stay. It poured in buckets around 11:30 last night so I started out the day at 7:30 in soaking wet crabgrass and had no trouble at all and the extra vacuum reminded me of an exmark. Very carpet smooth cut. My Hydros are still breaking in and as they do they are taking less and less power from my 29EFI. They are almost silent now. I used to be able to hear them whine like a biotch with my hearing protectors on. Now I cant hear them at all with the protectors on.
Good to know!! I did try all the way down and the lift was pulling thatch out of the lawn!! I have settled with my baffles right below the blade tips. About 1 1/2" down on my 452.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Good to know!! I did try all the way down and the lift was pulling thatch out of the lawn!! I have settled with my baffles right below the blade tips. About 1 1/2" down on my 452.

The 52 must create more vacuum than the 60 because mine certainly wont try and lift thatch out of the lawn. I am starting to wonder if mine is actually turning the correct rpms. It is much smoother and quieter than my previous 460 was and low rpm would explain the easy rpm shifts and slight lack of power on hills.
2004 Gravely 34Z
Old 07-29-2013, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
The 52 must create more vacuum than the 60 because mine certainly wont try and lift thatch out of the lawn. I am starting to wonder if mine is actually turning the correct rpms. It is much smoother and quieter than my previous 460 was and low rpm would explain the easy rpm shifts and slight lack of power on hills.
I've thought the same thing about ours on occasion but I think there is a lack of spindle/blade/wind noise in these decks that makes it sound wrong after using another machine. Couldn't hurt to check though
Old 07-29-2013, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
PSC-
I bought one of these tach's that Greg78 mentioned earlier in this thread-
http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...&postcount=616

I mounted it to my 950 and found it was running a little below specs, especially with the blades engaged. I adjusted it up so that now I am just about 3620-30 off load and just about 3580 on load, which is about 110 rpm's more than where it was at on load previously. I'm going to see if there's any difference in QOC over the next week of cutting. It was very easy to mount and I have it right between my choke and throttle knobs so that it is easy to see.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Great news!! You wont find another machine with the combination of comfort, cut, and build quality IMO. Not to mention Gravely's customer service!! I would be happy to help you fine tune the deck as I have tried every possible baffle position. Mine is dialed in perfect for my conditions right now. Table top smooth finish and killer stripes. PSC has a 460 and would also be a great resource if you have questions. My next machine will be EFI for sure.
Thanks GMLC, your comments and reviews were helpful in pointing me to the Gravely but am now trying to weigh between the gravely or the Hustler's new Hyper Drive unit which seems to be a bit more pricey.

I was asked when I went to demo the new 460 if I would like to try the EFI but thought carb was the way to go so the unit I brought home to demo was the carb model, now after your comment I wish I would have brought home the EFI. I would greatly appreciate your assistance in dialing in my deck once I have the unit should it need . I did ask the dealer today some questions on baffles and deck set up and he suggested that it should have the front of the deck 1/4 inch lower then the rest of the deck which I think someone said in an earlier post that was the correct way to set it up.

Hustler vs Gravely deck, I have read a lot of pros on each of the manufacturers deck but when I cut my yard I notioced the gravely shot out hugh amounts of grass in very large(long) clippings due to the grass being tall, will the hustler deck do the same or will it cut the clippings into a finer grass before discharging.

Price, I am getting quotes for $10,400 for the new gravely 472 plus tax an options. The dealer is going to try and find me a 0 hour demo model to save some money prior to ordering but can anyone tell me if this is a good number or not? I can get the 460 demo I brought home for $8300 plus tax.

Any input on price would be great since I have no idea of where these things hsould be, I see where everyone is starting but they act like there is no room to negotiate unless it is a demo model.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
PSC-
I bought one of these tach's that Greg78 mentioned earlier in this thread-
http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...&postcount=616

I mounted it to my 950 and found it was running a little below specs, especially with the blades engaged. I adjusted it up so that now I am just about 3620-30 off load and just about 3580 on load, which is about 110 rpm's more than where it was at on load previously. I'm going to see if there's any difference in QOC over the next week of cutting. It was very easy to mount and I have it right between my choke and throttle knobs so that it is easy to see.

I am going to have to get me one of those and check this thing.
2004 Gravely 34Z
Old 07-29-2013, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8tor38 View Post
Thanks GMLC, your comments and reviews were helpful in pointing me to the Gravely but am now trying to weigh between the gravely or the Hustler's new Hyper Drive unit which seems to be a bit more pricey.

I was asked when I went to demo the new 460 if I would like to try the EFI but thought carb was the way to go so the unit I brought home to demo was the carb model, now after your comment I wish I would have brought home the EFI. I would greatly appreciate your assistance in dialing in my deck once I have the unit should it need . I did ask the dealer today some questions on baffles and deck set up and he suggested that it should have the front of the deck 1/4 inch lower then the rest of the deck which I think someone said in an earlier post that was the correct way to set it up.

Hustler vs Gravely deck, I have read a lot of pros on each of the manufacturers deck but when I cut my yard I notioced the gravely shot out hugh amounts of grass in very large(long) clippings due to the grass being tall, will the hustler deck do the same or will it cut the clippings into a finer grass before discharging.

Price, I am getting quotes for $10,400 for the new gravely 472 plus tax an options. The dealer is going to try and find me a 0 hour demo model to save some money prior to ordering but can anyone tell me if this is a good number or not? I can get the 460 demo I brought home for $8300 plus tax.

Any input on price would be great since I have no idea of where these things hsould be, I see where everyone is starting but they act like there is no room to negotiate unless it is a demo model.
Dont get me wrong I love my carbed kawi. Great engine but I do want to try EFI next. The dealer is correct in saying the pitch should be 1/8-1/4" lower in the front. If you get the x-factor 2 deck you will also have the adjustable baffles. The prices your getting seem great. As far as clipping size I consider the Gravely in the middle. The clippings are smaller than say a scag but larger than say an exmark. It gives you a good all around cut in many conditions. You will want to demo the Hustler in your conditions but my guess would be your going to see larger clippings than the Gravely. Also if your getting the 472 it seems to be coming with low lift blades. Mag360 has been trying high lifts on his 272 and will be another great resource for you. The 460 and 452 come with high lift blades from the factory. What kind of grass are you cutting?
Old 07-29-2013, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Being in Florida I bet he is cutting st augistin (spelling?)
2004 Gravely 34Z
Old 07-29-2013, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The Hustler deck seems to be leaving and acceptable cut on stiff southern grasses, but not so much up in the north here. Regardless of that, it is a much more open design deck than the Gravely and you will definitely have longer clippings with the VX4 than the X Factor. For weekly maintanence lawns, you should demo both to see what you like/what results you get, but if that's not possible, you can't go wrong with the Gravely deck. It's a safe bet whereas the VX4 can be hit or miss. Both machines are built very well and will serve you great.