Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-30-2013, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Scag SWZ Odd Hydro Problem

I have an SWZ48 and I'm having an odd problem with the hydros. I have the neutral adjustment set perfectly, and it tracks great going forward, but when I go in reverse the right wheel is noticeably slower than the left wheel. Is there an adjustment for this? It's obviously not a tire inflation problem, as that would also effect the fwd speed. Any thoughts?
Old 05-01-2013, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

First check for any play where the control lever mounts to the pump shaft, A small amount there equates to quite a bit at the stick.

You have a neutral band in the pumps, That's the area between forward and reverse. You could have one side adjusted to the forward side of this band and the other to the reverse side.

Check for linkage play and try adjusting a little more.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 05-08-2013, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help restrorob. I ended up needing to adjust the steering control rod. It works perfect now.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Having the same problem.... It tracks great, in neutral it stays put. However, in gear the right wants to move continue mowing forward ever so when I use the thumb locks (im new to hydrostatic, correct my incorrect terminology) and is slower in reverse, as well as pulling the grip into reverse is much more difficult. Im assuming is has to do with linkage adjustments and/or the same problem AMCLIMBER had with steering linkage. I did notice the linkage was compressing the springs greatly on one section, and am assuming it would need a complete overhaul of all linkages. Ill try to post a pic and anyone that could PAINT a picture or describe which parts to loosen or tighten would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Old 07-29-2013, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Member

First is of the left side, second is of the right side.

Is it supposed to compress the spring that far when correctly adjusted? Seems mighty far, almost cant twist it any farther?

Also, should the end of the bar from the drive handle be touching that other metal piece (they are actually rubbing)? I feel like these are wrong
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2013, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

1070ryan,

Download the owner's manual and go to page 18;

http://www.scag.com/OpManuals/SWZ/20...2w-Spanish.pdf

Thanks for the pic of the model number tag.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 07-29-2013, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post

Download the owner's manual and go to page 18;
Thanks! So basically if i did steps 6-1 through 6-4 everything should be tuned as far as driving, neutral alignment, etc? And Im assuming the steps should be done in that order for proper results? I just received the mower today, so a tune up is in order (I like to know the maintenance has been done. Cant always count on others to track it....) so if thats the best route to do them all then thats what I'll do
Old 08-06-2013, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok, so finally have some time today to work on this, however before beginning i would like to make sure i do this correctly. As stated before my SWZ has some issues with slower reverse on one side (and the grips are VERY tight). So i can mow with it, however, its a pain. What im concerned about is if my steering control rods are off, or my tracking is off, that the neutral i set will leave me with very tight grips (in my pic you can see how they are maxed it seems. Should i set my control rods and tracking in a certain position before setting neutral? Such as they should be set so that the threaded section of the rod, or the nut on top of the spring on the tracking bolt, are """" this far away from the end... Any pics of your linkage (same view as one i posted) would be very helpful. Thanks!