Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-29-2013, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Is this a weed?

It originally looked like grass when i was short but seemed a bit off as the color different is noticeable(Light green vs dark green).

Thi is on a new sod, which is 3 week old.

Also there are some mushrooms, as seen in the top middle. Is that normal for new sod?
Old 07-29-2013, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mushrooms are nothing to worry about. Pull a storm of the light green and roll it in your fingers if it is a triangle stem it is nutsedge.

And yes it is a weed to me. It is a plant that is out of place.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Any idea on how it got there? I have never seen this type of weed before I had the new sod. It was usually crab grass as the only weed.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It's definitely nutsedge, spot spray with sedgehammer.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
It's definitely nutsedge, spot spray with sedgehammer.
That's a pretty flat leaf for nutsedge. That and it's flacid and not upright and ridged for nutsedge.

The definition of a weed is any unwanted plant or flower in the landscape. One's man's weed is another man's perennial.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
That's a pretty flat leaf for nutsedge. That and it's flacid and not upright and ridged for nutsedge.

The definition of a weed is any unwanted plant or flower in the landscape. One's man's weed is another man's perennial.

OK then what is it?
Old 08-04-2013, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
OK then what is it?
Got me. If I had to take a stab at it, I would say foxtail or some other weedy grass.

Even not 100% positive that it's not nutsedge, but at first glance it doesn't appear to be it.

But, just like all photos on this site, they are just photos. No way to really know without being there in person, or pulling the plant and getting an up close pic.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

When I have doubts I pull a sample and take it to the local extension office just up the street from me, that's pretty much how I've learned to identify most weeds on sight. I also carry a turf diagnosis book with me it has all the weeds and turf issues listed that you could possibly run into. Knowledge is power! I learn everyday it's the one thing I love about my career. Yes I said career, not job, JOB stands for JUST OVER BROKE and I ain't there. Anyway I'm calling nutsedge on this one, LOL
Old 08-05-2013, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
When I have doubts I pull a sample and take it to the local extension office just up the street from me, that's pretty much how I've learned to identify most weeds on sight. I also carry a turf diagnosis book with me it has all the weeds and turf issues listed that you could possibly run into. Knowledge is power! I learn everyday it's the one thing I love about my career. Yes I said career, not job, JOB stands for JUST OVER BROKE and I ain't there. Anyway I'm calling nutsedge on this one, LOL
Best answer yet!

Old 08-06-2013, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Member

So either Nutsedge or foxtail. Well the problem is that I have NEVER seen this type of weed before. Even worse is that its covered about 70% of my lawn. One of the sod mats is entirely covered up with it.

My issue was that about 70% of my sod was yellow within the first week. Second week some of the weeds started popping up.I didnt think it was a weed, just the grass growing again. Third week, I knew it was a problem when about half my lawn was covered by this weed. I reads online that mowing around 3 inches should help solve it but I was told not to mow the lawn until a month has passed since installation, which will be next Monday.

As for the spray, I would use it but like I said, it is covering pretty much a majority of my lawn. I don't know the side effects of it. I learnt that the hard way with Round up (Never again!!!)

If I can, I will try to snap a few pics of the lawn just to show how much its covering.