Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-29-2013, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Member

10% Ethanol Free Gas not available for boats in my area

Many times I have read [at this website and forum] about going to where they have boats and being able to purchase ethanol free gasoline in small quantities so that our power tool carburetor's internal parts are not ruined.

Well, today I called a local Marina for the first time and they quickly informed me there was no such thing, saying it all has 10% ethanol. I'm curious as to why so many members here talked about getting their gasoline from Marinas, when it doesnt exist?
Old 07-29-2013, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

http://pure-gas.org/

Look up by your state, then city or surrounding area. Good luck.

(What does 10% ethanol free even mean??)
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 07-29-2013, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Our local marina has it but its $4.79 gal & 93 octane its the only place in our county that has it. They have to buy full tanker loads at a time to get it. I would hate to pull up a houseboat to fill up at those prices. But Im not walking
all the way down to the dock to buy it.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There's three places here in the charlotte area that I know sell ethanol free gas. None are marina's but if I go to the lake norman area all the marina's have ethanol free fuel. Its not cheap though.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyer999 View Post
Many times I have read [at this website and forum] about going to where they have boats and being able to purchase ethanol free gasoline in small quantities so that our power tool carburetor's internal parts are not ruined.

Well, today I called a local Marina for the first time and they quickly informed me there was no such thing, saying it all has 10% ethanol. I'm curious as to why so many members here talked about getting their gasoline from Marinas, when it doesnt exist?
Because whoever you talked to is an idiot.

Call your local bulk fuel suppliers and ask who they sell recreational gas to. Go to that gas station.

The folks in corn country can still by 100% gas, no ethanol. Go figure.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 07-30-2013, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

It's cheaper for me to purchase gasoline where I am located at the time, whether gasoline is 10 cents cheaper or ethanol free up the road doesn't make a lick of difference to me, by the time I drive to that location I have spent more than the benefit is worth, a new carburetor's 10 dollars and fueling stations are nowhere near the top of my list of scheduled routing priorities, then again I do run premium so this is one headache I don't have.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skew View Post
Our local marina has it but its $4.79 gal & 93 octane its the only place in our county that has it. They have to buy full tanker loads at a time to get it. I would hate to pull up a houseboat to fill up at those prices. But Im not walking all the way down to the dock to buy it.
Well, I would pay that price in a heartbeat for small amounts to use in outdoor power tools. But a boat, well, I might not want to then. But for $4.79/gal, that sure beats Home Depot and Lowes for their $7/Qt ethanol free gas.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
. . . a new carburetor's 10 dollars . . .
Well, that's a BS reply, cause you aint buyin no brand new Walbro or Zama carb for $10, not even a rebuilt one. I priced a Walbro for an older Stihl FS66 and it was $90 retail. You must be buying stolen ones off of Craigslist or eBay!
Old 07-30-2013, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The closest place to me that sells ethanol free fuel is over 100 miles away. I live near many marinas on the river, and go to many lakes quite often.

I wish I could run it. Several years ago when on vacation I put ethanol free 87 octane in my truck down in VA. The truck seemed more responsive(by my butt dyno), and I got 2mpg's better. I believe at the time I paid 15-20 cents more for it than the 10% stuff across the street.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkshot99 View Post
The closest place to me that sells ethanol free fuel is over 100 miles away. I live near many marinas on the river, and go to many lakes quite often.

I wish I could run it. Several years ago when on vacation I put ethanol free 87 octane in my truck down in VA. The truck seemed more responsive(by my butt dyno), and I got 2mpg's better. I believe at the time I paid 15-20 cents more for it than the 10% stuff across the street.
I've been looking into this for my state. Evidently it cant be found near big city areas (Philadelphia, Pa). I cant speak for other big cities. Of course that is where the bulk of vehicles are located. I remember about ten years ago, I would buy this stuff farther away from the city for about $0.25 to $0.50 cents/gal cheaper, yeah, actually cheaper. I did the math and it wasnt worth my traveling there to get it. I would only buy it if I was going in that direction. But it was the price that motivated me not the ethanol free thing. Actually, I wasnt even aware of the issue at that time and just ran the ethanol stuff in my tools. However, I did notice the performance thing that you mentioned, as well as, the increased mileage too.

A bit off topic but the thing that irks me about the go green thing (and going green is ok with me), is that creating one Hybrid gas-electric vehicle creates a far larger carbon footprint on the Earth, and does far more damage to the environment than if they never made it and made a non hybrid vehicle instead. And the cost of a hybrid is not offset by the fuel savings. Yes, global warming seems to be occurring and needs to be addressed, but Hybrids aint the answer, Hydrogen is and they know it, but in the meantime this is all big money and political BS!