Register free!

Old 07-28-2013, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
What would be bad about fertilizer being washed in after it was applied? Did you apply at the recommended, 1 bag per 2500 sq.ft.??
Well it rained so hard that I was concerned that it may have made it run off or pile up in lower areas instead of having time to settle in with lite irrigation.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I see... kind of like what may happen with a broadcast of seed...
On the brite side, if the Milo really makes a difference with what you have now it would show up in spots where the rain concentrated it...
From my experience,, it seems that it takes a couple of weeks to start showing up in the turf... keep us up to date...
Old 07-28-2013, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
I was thinking an organic app in the summer of micros, Fert, or something to benefit the soil structure

From what I've read an organic product is safer in hot conditions than synthetic.
Microbes operate best for the same reasons other plants , such as turf,, would function well... microbes, esp. fungi,, have a lot to do with soil structure and will obviously be more active if they have actual food AND water to go along with livable temperatures...

A simple application of dry molasses MAY go a long way in cycling the OM and releasing nutrients back into the soil however,, can you justify it as a Summer App. w/out any proof that it is BETTER or even equal to a quarter pound of urea???

Have you been looking as soil structure and tilth??? What can you bring to your client??? Most "Organic Programs" have built in failure and appear to the real world as greenie snake oil...
As a business decision,,, you HAVE TO know what you're doing...
Old 07-29-2013, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

There is nothing simple or easy about an organic turf program, the same can be said for a chemical based turf program. Both require knowledge, training and experience to be successful. An organic program relies heavily on sound cultural practices and building soil health.

As for a single summer application, most organic fertilizers and/or soil amendments are safe to apply. If you are running a chemical program, one app of organic materials will have minimal effect.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 07-29-2013, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I think our culture has drifted towards quick and instant results. The quick release synthetic products will green up a lawn quickly and produce a hyper green....but at what cost that is contrary to total turf health...?
Old 07-30-2013, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

From a marketing standpoint how much more are clients willing to pay MORE FOR over a strictly synthetic program?

And....those who want organics....how many of them insist that the clippings be bagged and hauled off. And of course the "mow it lower" crowd?

What I'm getting at is...are those who want a bridge program or a program with any organics involved....does this client base need to be educated...?

In regards to just core aeration many clients think all aerations are the same and there is a set rule.

I will flat out admit the customer ignorance angle is a considerable source of aggravation for me and is tough to take.

Last edited by Exact Rototilling; 07-30-2013 at 01:08 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

How does that line go? An educated consumer is our best customer.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 07-30-2013, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I switched a client from the TGCL Program to partially Organic without their knowledge and over the period of a couple of seasons, even up to the present time, they see a noticeable improvement...
I also did it for LESS money...

If they insist on bagging clippings then there is no reason to even attempt it...

Any humus or OM on the surface can be burned away by the sun... Place a handful of compost on a sunny impermiable surface, protected from wind and rain... Where does the compost go???
Old 07-30-2013, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Humus burned away by the sun?? Really?

Please explain this to me.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 07-31-2013, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just do it and then try to explain it yourself...

But the point is that grass clippings protect the soil, the fungi and the roots from heat, drought etc...