Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-27-2013, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Can't say we have sold many tank tops to companies.... Usually just to one or two people. I do like the safety green shirts with black print. It is very sharp and very visible, good for safety and exposure for the business
Old 07-28-2013, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soduniforms View Post
Can't say we have sold many tank tops to companies.... Usually just to one or two people. I do like the safety green shirts with black print. It is very sharp and very visible, good for safety and exposure for the business
Do you have a website?
Old 07-29-2013, 06:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Tank tops are pushing it but we switched to sleeveless shirts which look like T-shirts with the sleeves rolled up. Very nicely done and looks really good. We have got a few compliments on them this year from a few of our regulars. Pants they are aloud to wear Tan or Blue.
My guys are NOT aloud to take off shirts or they are warned first then fired.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Used to wear sleeveless and t shirts.
After you know someone who gets skin cancer you switch to long sleeves pretty fast. NTM on a sunny day a Columbia PFG is cooler than shirtless.

I love when it is full sun out, working next door to a shirtless crew sweating their butts off while we are in long sleeves having a breeze.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would prefer shirtless over tank tops. I dont even allow shorts in the middle of summer.

www.SoCalPonds.com
Old 10-25-2013, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Columbia PFG shirts and Mountain Khaki shorts. I used to work shirtless but found that the Columbia PFG shirts are actually better, and they keep the sun off me.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey, back in the 80's I had my guys in tank tops, and so did a lot of other companies. But that was the 80's..... Nowadays, no. Besides, wicking shirts are the cat's meow.

Shorts, khaki, in the Summer and you gotta keep your shirt on. Too hot here for long pants I think, but a couple guys wear them in the Summer. Having hit the ground from a heat stroke and spent a week in ICU for the same, I believe in staying cool.

I do know of a feller who is in construction and only works in the Summer. He wears nothing but a Speedo, the little tiny skin tight kind that offers entirely too much definition, and those foam shoes like you wear water skiing. He makes quite a good living, however it's his exceptional skill in his particular line of construction and not the personal appearance which is bringing in the big bucks.

Last edited by PK Mows; 01-26-2014 at 01:09 AM.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

it seriously cannot be so hot in Memphis, that halfway around the world in 120 degree days, desert nomads covers themselves in layers of black cloth and soldiers romp around in 20lbs of uniform and protective gear.
None of them are dying of heatstroke. Drink water!

Long pants don't make you hotter, heat doesn't build up in the body from your ankles to your knees. IF anything if you a riding a mower, it's better to have your legs covered to protect from sunburn than have them uncovered. Short pants are a psychological advantage. nothing more.
Unless you are going to get wet a lot (like working with water features or irrigation) there is no actual benefit from shorts.
wet long pants tend to sag and hang and weigh more than shorts… other than that.. long pants protect better.

Besides who wants green hairy legs from the weed whacker?
Old 01-27-2014, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Member

It's really the humidity more than the heat. With the humidity, your sweat does not evaporate and your body is unable to cool itself. You have to move that sweat away in order to cool, sweat stuck to you is just a layer of hot water which further inhibits cooling. I'll take 95 and 0% humidity over 85 and 70% humidity all day.

Last Summer was very mild but high 90's and 70+% percent humidity are the norm. With long pants on, the sweat doesn't evaporate and I end up soaking wet and miserable. If you sweat heavily, you do anything you can to cool down and dry off. Some guys around here do prefer wearing long pants, some even long shirts, I ain't one of 'em. Some of my guys barely sweat, while others, me included, sweat enough for three people. When the air is so wet you can almost feel it weighing down on you, all you want to do is crawl back to the truck and turn the air on high. When spraying you're stuck with long pants and rubber boots, miserable to me.

I've done work in the Phoenix Arizona area and the whole keeping covered and keeping the sun off is the way to go there, but it's a whole different ballgame when you factor in humidity.

Heat stroke is not just from not drinking water. In fact, my trouble was I was drinking too much water and not eating. You have to replace salts, and the more water you drink, the more you have to replace. I had probably had close to 2 gallons of water that day, by 2pm when this happened, but I had the habit of not eating breakfast or lunch in the Summer. I stopped at an Exxon to buy Gatorade, walked up to the counter and the next thing I knew I was sitting down with a wonderfully sweet lady holding my hands and saying, "Don't worry Honey, the ambulance is on the way". I thought to myself, ambulance, for who? Then the world started to go black and I distinctly remember thinking, "Oh, that ambulance is for me".

Almost killed me, I got lucky. Had I been out on a property and fell out, probably wouldn't have had anybody to help me so quickly. I was in my early 20's when this happened and it was months before I fully recovered.

Nowadays I wear a wide-brimmed straw hat, wicking shirts and lightweight shorts. I buy my guys straw hats if they want them and wicking shirts. They can wear whatever khaki pants/shorts they like. I also buy the spf40 or 50 Coppertone Sport for the guys, I think it's about $5 a can at Costco when you get it in the 6 pack. At least as far as high humidity goes, it's a matter of moving heat out of your body, not shielding it from the heat.

I also make certain to eat. Gatorade and such is ok and helps out, but nothing replaces eating. Plenty of fresh fruits, good carbs and protein. I like peanuts and jerky, bananas, apples, peaches, biscuits, crackers and McDonalds french fries in the Summer when it gets real hot. Not eating when it's real hot will drop you quick. I also buy gallons of water at Walmart or Costco for the trucks. Was using coolers on the trailers but somehow they keep falling off or walking away.

I actually hate the heat and have been trying to get the Wife to move, with me preferably, to Idaho or Montana for years.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Member

As someone who is covered in tattoos, I cannot imagine using tank tops. I knew when I got my tattoos that it would highly effect the clothing I could wear in any situation. I'm just starting out and whenever I first make contact with a customer I wear long sleeves and pants to look professional. When I mow I do wear shorts and t-shirts, but usually the customer is not home since they are at work as well. I cannot imagine how the image of a business with tank tops on anyone would appear to potential customers. Especially when tank tops are on tattooed or appear somewhat out of shape individuals. As I said, I have a significant amount of tattoos and also have a pretty big beer belly (gotta celebrate the end of the day somehow), but I would NEVER wear anything less than a t-shirt.