Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-29-2013, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
To my knowledge the magnum comes in round, square, twist, and maybe star? I'm excited to give this stuff a try tomorrow.
Let me know how the platinum does! I'm hoping to pick up some magnum or the platinum if I can get it tomorrow.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstripesnc View Post
I know there's been thousands of trimmer line threads but I couldn't find one that compares the oregon magnum gatorline and the platinum gatorline.

First off I can't find either locally for some reason. Most dealers sell echo crossfire line and stihl line.

Any opinions which is better for edging and trimming? I don't use a dedicated edger just the string trimmer. I currently am using echos crossfire line because I bought a 3lb spool of it and its finally almost gone.
I tried a small spool and I think the Magnum lasted longer then the platinum,
platinum trims finer blade of grass better then the square magnum
This was in 105 size
Old 07-30-2013, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a small pack of the magnum gatorline in square .105. I like it so far its a lot more durable than the echo crossfire. I can go three lawns without tapping once (edging and regular trimming) which is very good BUT its very loud. Its not a deal breaker but its way louder than the echo line. Probably because its square.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Twisted lines are quieter...'they' say. I didn't coin the term, but those square lines are like a fungo bat. They kick up more projectiles than any line I've tried. Like you, I tend to buy line in small quantities first.

Can't say which is more durable, but the Platinum Supertwist is money.
I aim to see soon if my Stihl FS-80 will run it well. Not sure if it has the torque, but I so rarely use it now since getting a honking Honda. Will spool up my Stihl soon and report back.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 07-31-2013, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok guys, loaded up my first spool of platinum this morning. First conclusion, I will never buy it again. For my application it is straight garbage. I mow a fair amount of commercial/industrial with a lot of chain link fencing. This seems to be the platinum's weakest point. It cuts fairly well when you are trimming grass, but when you get into weeds with tough stalks it fails. The square magnum that I normally use will tear through some thick stuff up to 1/2" depending on the weed. I frequently use it to cut voluntary elms that you would usually need a pair of snippers for.

It is much quieter however and really easy to load. It seems to develop less of a memory while wrapped on the bulk spool.

I'm sure it would work great for someone that does nothing but manicured lawns, but in my opinion those who do commercial properties with very heavy trimming it will not last long. I give it a 5/10 with it being better than stihl x line and way worse than magnum which I would give an 8/10.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Day two with the magnum gatorline .105. So far its even more durable than I thought. I cut quite a bit of vine off a guys fence and it did great and I went 4 lawns without tapping. My complaint is that its loud but other than that its a very good line.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Ok guys, loaded up my first spool of platinum this morning. First conclusion, I will never buy it again. For my application it is straight garbage. I mow a fair amount of commercial/industrial with a lot of chain link fencing. This seems to be the platinum's weakest point. It cuts fairly well when you are trimming grass, but when you get into weeds with tough stalks it fails. The square magnum that I normally use will tear through some thick stuff up to 1/2" depending on the weed. I frequently use it to cut voluntary elms that you would usually need a pair of snippers for.

It is much quieter however and really easy to load. It seems to develop less of a memory while wrapped on the bulk spool.

I'm sure it would work great for someone that does nothing but manicured lawns, but in my opinion those who do commercial properties with very heavy trimming it will not last long. I give it a 5/10 with it being better than stihl x line and way worse than magnum which I would give an 8/10.
That's interesting, because it is just the opposite of what I experience with it. It is brutally strong- stronger by some degree compared to either round or square Gator Magnum (which I love) with the Aramid chord in the center. The Platinum Super Twist lasts longer for chain link, and will cut grass like sharp scissors, and thick stalky plants like a pair of loppers IME.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
That's interesting, because it is just the opposite of what I experience with it. It is brutally strong- stronger by some degree compared to either round or square Gator Magnum (which I love) with the Aramid chord in the center. The Platinum Super Twist lasts longer for chain link, and will cut grass like sharp scissors, and thick stalky plants like a pair of loppers IME.
That is weird, what size did you get? I got .105 because it looked to be about the same size as the .95 magnum.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
That is weird, what size did you get? I got .105 because it looked to be about the same size as the .95 magnum. I was very unimpressed compared to the magnum line. I'm being honest here also, I'm in no way biased with different lines.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

Same results I got I tried it for 2 days my other guys tried it for few hours
I sent rest to my father he likes it for his lawn