Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-31-2013, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
I'm confused with this statement. You pay the employee's after everyday? What happened to a paycheck once a week?
Yes I generally pay cash every day or every other day... Just the way I've always done it. I don't like getting behind; the guys like it too.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Monday-Sleep in because it's maintenance day. Some Mondays i'm up and done early just so I can sit on my butt the rest of the day. Other's I don't get to the garage until 2PM.

Tuesday-Friday. Up at 4am, 4:30 I'm out running...depending on the day of the week between two to 4 miles. Home by 5:30. Start coffee, make breakfast, and watch M*A*S*H until 7. Watch news until 7:30 while schedule prints, do a couple odds and ends with paperwork while watching news. Heading out the door between 7:30 and 7:45...depends on whether the wife and the dog feels like a quick 15 minute snuggle and talk before I head out. Mow that days schedule. Depending on the day and that day's route I'm home between 4 and 7PM. Paperwork, scheduling and BBQ and Beer depending on the which day it is.

Saturday is my rain day makeup, odd job days, or absolutely nothing days. Family time, etc etc...Sunday is church, lunch with the wife and then a nice afternoon in the park with the dog or a family BBQ if one is planned for the day.

That is a TYPICAL week...but that's the basic schedule, that doesn't count being backed up because of rain, changing brakes, changing oil a random flat tire, a belt snapping, equipment being a b*tch because it just wants to be because nothing is wrong, it just feels like calling in sick. Doesn't count that it's the day every single customer wants to come out and talk to you about everything going on since the last time you all talked.

A typical day is pretty easy, even a typical week. It's the atypical day that drives ya nuts.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

mash in the morning sounds like fun. The theme music puts you in a certain mood.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudosun View Post
mash in the morning sounds like fun. The theme music puts you in a certain mood.
Reminds me of being a kid and falling asleep on the couch with the TV on haha.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-N-Texas View Post
Yes I generally pay cash every day or every other day... Just the way I've always done it. I don't like getting behind; the guys like it too.
I bet the IRS loves it too. Wait, what?
Old 08-01-2013, 05:23 AM
LawnSite Member

I see a lot of posts that say "head to the shop to make sure everything is ready for the guys" or "first stop in the morning is to the gas station". My guys leave the yard at 7:00 sharp, and pulling back in the yard at 4:30 having already gone to the gas station and filled everything up for the next day. same for getting anything extra ready for tomorrow. Before we go home for the night all the trucks are loaded, fueled, and in place so all we need to do is turn the key in the morning. There are to many unexpected things that could go wrong in the morning to worry about all the other stuff that could have been done yesterday.
2009 GMC 1500WT
1995 ford 555E backhoe
2006 8.5'x20" royal enclosed trailer
8x16 bigtex trailer
2006 exmark 60inch Z
2006 exmark 52inch TT
2009 exmark 52inch TT
2001 gravley S 50"
Redmax 8000's blowers
Echo srm 210 string trimmers
Old 08-01-2013, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-N-Texas View Post
What does the IRS think of all that? You shouldn't be paying cash as I think you already know. So no deductions, no SS, no federal tax withheld? You just admitted you are part of the problem. The IRS WILL catch up to you on that.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Some days I sleep in till 8. Others days I am up and gone by 5:30am.

There's all those days where I might get home at 3. And there's been plenty of days I won't get home till midnight.

I just wish I could get on a set schedule like you guys..
Old 08-01-2013, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Woke up, fell out of bed
Dragged a comb across my head
Found my way downstairs and drank a cup
And looking up I noticed I was late
Found my coat and grabbed my hat
Made the bus in seconds flat
Found my way upstairs and had a smoke
And somebody spoke and I went into a dream
Old 08-12-2013, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wake up around 7:30 or 8. Everything is ready for me when i get up. my route, my clothes laid out, trailer loaded, and truck and equipment all gased up. I usually get on my first yard at 9pm, last yard around 5pm. If i have lawn apps to do i will leave earlier and knock out the lawn treatment customers first before i start to mow. If there is rain in the forecast for the week, i'll try to get some of the bi-weeklies for the next day done, and i will stay out till dark. When i get back to the garage i unhook my trailer and look at the route for the next day and make sure i have everything i need for the next day ready to go. I then complete my worklog/mileage log for the day. I check the mail and enter in any payments that came in that day as well as any call backs for estimates or what not. I'm all routed out gased up and loaded up for the next day before i even sit down for dinner.. then i chill with the family the rest of the night. I don't see how you guys with employees do it, it doesn't sound like much to look forward to. but i gotta say, i enjoy being solo so far.. and, it beats last year when i worked the nightshift and mowed lawns during the day.. The wife wasn't having that, i think she would have left my ass for real if i kept working nightshift.