Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-01-2013, 06:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatman george View Post
op is right, you don't know what your talking about.

$25 x 115 = $2875 per week in gross

he could generously spend $16 + $19 = $35 in wages hourly (including tax, etc)

40 hours a week @ $35.00 = $1,400 in labor

75 miles @ 8 mpg x $3.75/g gas = $35.00 truck gas for 75 miles.

Equipment gas = $150?

$1,400 + $35 + $150 = $1,585 in basic expenses.

$2,875 in gross - $1,585 in expense = $1,290 weekly net/cover other possible expenses.
why even go out for that? $25 a lawn, thats just ridiculous!!
Old 08-01-2013, 07:01 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

What's the big deal about contracted customers? I can show you all my customers and the route sheets that show I've been cutting them once a week. The invoice would match up Also. I'm not sure your contract with them would be binding in the event that another company bought you out?
Old 08-01-2013, 07:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
what's the big deal about contracted customers? I can show you all my customers and the route sheets that show i've been cutting them once a week. The invoice would match up also. I'm not sure your contract with them would be binding in the event that another company bought you out?
at $25 a cut no one would ever drop you, contract or not. I have a reg full time job too, but im not gonna underbid everyone by 10 to 15 bucks just so i can say i have 100 lawns.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Contracts add no value to residential accounts.

Enlist the services of a business broker. He will get you more exposure and a better price.

I use a broker and they are worth every penny.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Member

You really can not ask for to much money if you income on these lawns are less then $3,000 a week. NON- contract lawns for such a low price tells me these people are not going to be happy with even a $5 up charge for the lawns. (not that $30 is a great price either)
I do not think you would be able to get more then $5,000- $7,000
Old 08-01-2013, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Member

I can't believe anyone would pay much of anything for a list of names of people who may or may not want to use you for lawn service at a bare bottom price... Markets must really be different I guess. We can't even make a buck mowing town houses for $25 unless we have half the neighborhood signed up for service all together.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Member

$25 per lawn is fine if its the right kind of lawns. I have about 30 of them. They take me under 20 min by myself and under 14 with a helper. They're crap lawns and their owners pay on time and never complain (low expectations). They are right in the middle of a really tight route. I love making really nice lawns look great, tight edges and stripes, but frankly these lawns pay better and if I focused on only these lawns I'd probably be better off. The only issue I have with OP is he's only getting 25 done in 9 hours with a two man crew. I would want to average over 30/day to make this biz plan work. I just laugh at the "won't drop the gate for under $35" guys. It's always followed by "but I have a couple that are neighbors or on the same street that I only charge $25 for".

Well, thats my biz plan, and it works really good.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had a business in So California with 65 weekly accounts, I sold it for 10K with equiptment.

Problem your gonna have is no one has any money right now.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

This is a side Buisness for me and i am taking a higher paying job, so I am happy to get rid of the extra stress just want to know as much info as I can going into it.

FYI
The $25 mow and go is a good Buisness in my area if your route is tight. My labor costs are $20 per hour for 2 guys. My weekly gross is around $2,900 and labor is less than $1,000. I do have other overhead cost, but not
bad for a side Buisness.
There is several ways to make money in this industry and some you guy should open your minds a Lil and realize most guys get on here to get advice, not here about smart you think or are....
Old 08-01-2013, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Exactly! I could easily have over 100 accounts if I underbid everybody in town, but I would rather have 50 at an avg of $50/week, 10 great looking lawns a day beats 25 ok looking lawns. All my customers get top level service no matter weather they want it or not, It's not in our vocabulary that "Oh well they don't really care so we can just do an ok job for this guy" that's just an insane way to do business.