Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-01-2013, 06:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchio Lawn Care View Post
John Deere 7 iron deck will never disapoint
Found a 997 demo w 14 hrs for $13500. I am going to open up some more yard so I am going with a 72 inch deck. I only have one spot it won't do that takes 5 minutes with 42".

Last edited by MarkSLR; 08-01-2013 at 06:10 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSLR View Post
Found a 997 demo w 14 hrs for $13500. I am going to open up some more yard so I am going with a 72 inch deck. I only have one spot it won't do that takes 5 minutes with 42".

I am getting info sent on the ztr's and going to see if there are new incentives for August. A Walker distributor sent an email that I don't think I was suppose to get to other distributors saying "another hot one (smile)!!". I am not sure what he meant unless my looking for equipment have them licking there chops?
Old 08-01-2013, 06:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2013 Toro 6000 series with the new 34 horse Kohler, holds 12 gallons of fuel, cuts like a dream has tons of power and is super comfortable. If you sit on a new Toro or Exmark you will never go back. The new seat has suspension for your weight and feels like your riding in a Cadillac no kidding. Nobody else has a seat quite like it. The EFI helps it start like a car and use less fuel.

The Toro warranty is the best at 5yrs 1200 hours. Sounds like you would stay in for a full 5 years.

I went out of my way to buy a Scag but found them lacking in several areas from engine options to comfort. Plus with any engine but the vanguard your over paying by thousands as all the engines cost about the same but not when ordered on their mower.

The toro is set up well even for me at 6 2" so when I'm sitting my legs aren't squished together. On nearly all other brands this was so. The frames are narrow hence the foot well is narrow.

You can get a lot of mower for your money with a bad boy but their warranty sucks.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Also Toro has unitized hydros so you have no leak points or hoses. A big deal if kept for a long time.

Everything about Toro is true about Exmark except you can't grease the Exmark spindles.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
Also Toro has unitized hydros so you have no leak points or hoses. A big deal if kept for a long time.

Everything about Toro is true about Exmark except you can't grease the Exmark spindles.
That is why I will check into Toro and bail on Exmark. I want an adjustable deck ,greaseable spindles. If I can get them to demo here I will post results on YouTube.

Walker distributor is on his knees now and very sorry I got the email...

Gravely 472
Toro not sure which one the Z590 is tough to get
John Deere 997
SCAG Turf Tiger diesel and multi fuel if I get a tax advantage and it has power

Walker waiting to see what happens...

Last edited by MarkSLR; 08-01-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSLR View Post
That is why I will check into Toro and bail on Exmark. I want an adjustable deck ,greaseable spindles. If I can get them to demo here I will post results on YouTube.

Walker distributor is on his knees now and very sorry I got the email...

Gravely 472
Toro not sure which one the Z590 is tough to get
John Deere 997
SCAG Turf Tiger diesel and multi fuel if I get a tax advantage and it has power

Walker waiting to see what happens...
I like diesel best at about 0.75 gallons per hr so it costs about $4 to mow.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's a great price on the 997. Is it a 72"? I have one, its been great. I like the hydraulic deck lift, and the very nice cut. A new one will cost me between $17500- $18500. No factory rebates the last time I checked. I also like the shaft driven mowing deck. The 997 will mow circles around the Kubota 331. What problems do you have with the Ferris 5100?
Old 08-01-2013, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

For your kind of acerage your going to want comfort. My suggestion would be the Gravely 460 or 472. Ferris would have been my other suggestion but it looks like you posted that you already had problems. Service is very simple on Gravely so dont let the dealer tell you otherwise. It does have sealed spindles though, just like vehicle wheel bearings this is the way to go now. Cut quality is top notch and your not going to find many machines built as strong. The frame is massive.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't own any diesel mowers but I own or have owned a lot of gas engine Toros, Exmarks and recently, Scag. The Scag, in my opinion, is the superior machine. I can tell you from years of experience that the Turbo Force and the Ultra-Cut WILL clump and clog in damp or wet conditions. They do however, leave an excellent cut on a sunny day after the dew has burned off. As a home owner, you can decide when to cut your lawn... unlike the commercial world when it has to be mowed or you'll get behind schedule. The Scag leaves a great cut regardless. As for the John Deere and the Gravely, I have no experience with them. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples View Post
That's a great price on the 997. Is it a 72"? I have one, its been great. I like the hydraulic deck lift, and the very nice cut. A new one will cost me between $17500- $18500. No factory rebates the last time I checked. I also like the shaft driven mowing deck. The 997 will mow circles around the Kubota 331. What problems do you have with the Ferris 5100?
The 997 is a 72" with 14 hrs 13500 cash no tax. I have to drive 5 hrs to get it.
The Ferris diesel had frame problems and the Cornell Ag school got rid of it because the cut was not good enough. That is what I was told and they bought a Toro.
I am getting info/pricing on Scag ,Gravely and Toro.
Kubota is $19800.00

Last edited by MarkSLR; 08-01-2013 at 08:48 AM.