Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-31-2013, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Member

When is the best time to regrade parts of my landscape?

So one section of my yard, ~100' x 70' , is extremely rough to mow. It would appear that the previous owner had some apples trees planted in that section and the trees didn't survive, combined with some moles, etc and there are some large humps / ridges in that area. That area of the yard also is pretty dry compared to other parts of the yard and when digging a 2-3 foot hole the soil looks mostly like clay.

What I've thought about doing is using the backblade on my tractor to re-grade that area to even out the rough spots. Then tilling in some kind of compost / sand mixture, re-grade, seed, cover with straw and water.

So when is the best time to do this? I'd like to do it sooner rather than later. However, I understand that grass grows better in the fall. Thoughts?
Old 07-31-2013, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tell me what state your in ?

Use this map to tell me what zone your in -

http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/Default.aspx

Generally, September 1 is the date to seed, but that date can move two week's either way depending on your location, so it will help if your more specific.

Use August to do all your grading so you can concentrate on seeding Sept. 1.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
Tell me what state your in ?

Use this map to tell me what zone your in -

http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/Default.aspx

Generally, September 1 is the date to seed, but that date can move two week's either way depending on your location, so it will help if your more specific.

Use August to do all your grading so you can concentrate on seeding Sept. 1.

Zone 5b, Mid Michigan.

I plan on doing a soil sample. Will that tell me how much compost I need to work in as well?
Old 08-01-2013, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You can seed Aug. 15. The whole point of seeding in the fall is to not subject the new seedling's to extreme heat, so you may want to adjust that date for your micro-climate. Your seedling's have a much better chance of success if you keep them wet for the first month. Use the best seed you can get, it make's a big difference. Put down 1/4" of compost down at a time to keep from layering, but be aware of unwanted weed seed's, know what that compost came from. Use up to a inch total if you can afford it, just don't create layer's though, that's bad, 1/4" at a time and mix it in well. Good luck.