Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-02-2013, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

10 lawns is not enough to buy a $10,000 mower.

Cart in front of the horse.

Selling a good running mower does not make sense when you will be left without a back up.

If you made enough money from this mower for it to have paid itself off then this mower does not own you anything and is another reason to keep it.

If this mower has not paid itself off then you should not be replacing it.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
10 lawns is not enough to buy a $10,000 mower.

Cart in front of the horse.

Selling a good running mower does not make sense when you will be left without a back up.

If you made enough money from this mower for it to have paid itself off then this mower does not own you anything and is another reason to keep it.

If this mower has not paid itself off then you should not be replacing it.
DITTO.

you MUST get the accounts before you buy a new mower. what if you go out and spend 10000 on a new mower with a 60 inch deck and then all 10 of the new accounts you get need a 48 inch mower to fit on them. always have the work before you buy the equipment.

also if your mower is bought and paid for in full and has paid you back for its costs keep it. new mowers have problems. and the best thing you can do is keep both mowers with you while mowing and once a day run the old mower on an account to give it some run time. this will help ward off problems from it sitting.

also having the old mower with you will save your ass at least once, whether you happen to slide off a hill and get stuck or snap a belt. you cannot beat having a backup mower.

in this business you will learn overkill and redundancy are the name of the game.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Get a full tune up done on the current mower. Keep using it and banking the money. Set a savings goal for a new mower. Say the goal is 8,000. Reach that and sell your machine for 2 or so thousand. Now you can get the new one.

Buttttt I betcha you don't buy it and instead use an older mower and have the security of the 8k in the bank.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Member

If you don't sell the JD while it still has some value you'll regret it later. Yeah, if you can't get anything for it you can call it a back-up.
But it's not. Think about it. You jump off of your new, faster, more efficient mower and get on the old JD. Then it occurs to you "Wouldn't my time be better spent getting the new mower fixed?" And probably the old JD breaks down from sitting around for months. Then you have two repair bills.

If you're worried about keeping on the job, talk to your dealer about a loaner if yours breaks.
Something I've tried with success is talking to the service manager. I told him I would pay the overtime to get my mower fixed. Plus I'd tip the mechanic $20.
The next time I showed up the service manager asked his crew "Who wants to work thru lunch on overtime pay?" They ALL did.

And like I mentioned before if you're concerned about reliability & durability pick something not sold in the big box stores. If you go to a dealer that sells to commercial cutters they have a whole different attitude about getting you back on the job. But you have to ask.

If you didn't have a back-up mower for your JD you're going to need it even less with a new machine.