Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-02-2013, 08:26 PM
williams lcm williams lcm is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: orlando fl
Posts: 718
non grease able bearings--going bad

Have a new 2013 ferris 3100z with 290hrs and front caster wheel bearing fell out while mowing. I hate when you cannot grease them.anyone have problems with no grease fittings
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-02-2013, 08:56 PM
gene gls's Avatar
gene gls gene gls is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Granville, Ma. 01034
Posts: 3,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by williams lcm View Post
Have a new 2013 ferris 3100z with 290hrs and front caster wheel bearing fell out while mowing. I hate when you cannot grease them.anyone have problems with no grease fittings
I had lots of problems with my Hustler spindle bearings burning up until I made them greaseable. My castor yoke bearings rusted up so bad that the wheel started getting stiff and not wanting to turn. I couldn't remove the yoke to change the bearings so I drilled and taped for a grease fitting and greased the snot out of them. Worked fine after that. Its always best to have grease fittings so parts last longer
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-02-2013, 09:08 PM
sven1277 sven1277 is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Gales Ferry, CT
Posts: 544
I have over 1500 hrs on the spindle bearings on a Wright ZK. No problems yet
__________________
'05,08 Chevy 3500 Dump
00 Chevy 2500
61" Scag turf tigers
61" Wright zk
ASV SR 70
Takeuchi 135
Kubota 7610 40" rotadarion
20' enclosed 10k lawncare trailer
18' aluminum 12k equipment trailer
35hp Giant Vac leaf loader
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-03-2013, 07:00 AM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,154
Sealed is the way to go now. Just like car and truck wheel bearings.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-03-2013, 11:29 AM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,522
My Deere has sealed bearings for the deck and castor wheels, but has grease zerks on all of them. I much prefer it that way. It allows me to keep grease in the space in bewteen bearings, and the water out.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-03-2013, 02:41 PM
MJB's Avatar
MJB MJB is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Wa
Posts: 2,856
Sealed spindles are hard to beat if not abused or pressure washed they last forever. Maybe its the sand and water that make them fail more frequently for some. In 22 yrs of ztr use I have only had 2 failures both greasable either I over greased or under greased them not sure. I have had no failures with 15 sealed spindles so far. So it might be caused by conditions I mow nice green grass, not dry sandy weedy junk like some have too.
__________________
MJB

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-03-2013, 02:44 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
Sealed spindles are hard to beat if not abused or pressure washed they last forever. Maybe its the sand and water that make them fail more frequently for some. In 22 yrs of ztr use I have only had 2 failures both greasable either I over greased or under greased them not sure. I have had no failures with 15 sealed spindles so far. So it might be caused by conditions I mow nice green grass, not dry sandy weedy junk like some have too.
Actually your right. I asked one manu why greasless? They told me 99% of the time greasable's are over or under greased. Way less failures with sealed.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-03-2013, 03:03 PM
GrassGuerilla GrassGuerilla is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: St. Louis Missouri
Posts: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Actually your right. I asked one manu why greasless? They told me 99% of the time greasable's are over or under greased. Way less failures with sealed.
I know your right. Doesn't stop me from wanting to grease em though.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-03-2013, 03:21 PM
puppypaws's Avatar
puppypaws puppypaws is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshville,NC 28103
Posts: 7,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
My Deere has sealed bearings for the deck and castor wheels, but has grease zerks on all of them. I much prefer it that way. It allows me to keep grease in the space in bewteen bearings, and the water out.

So does Hustler, have no idea what Gene is talking about, you keep grease in the cavity and you should stay pretty much trouble free. I've never owned a Hustler Super Z that did not have grease zerks on the spindles and wheel yokes, meaning I really don't understand where Gene put his fittings.
__________________
Farm Mower
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-03-2013, 03:32 PM
MJB's Avatar
MJB MJB is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Wa
Posts: 2,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
I know your right. Doesn't stop me from wanting to grease em though.
Start calling you the Grease Guerilla !
__________________
MJB

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:07 AM.

Page generated in 0.09068 seconds with 9 queries