Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-02-2013, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was having paraffin problems, from pump gas. I even had to replace the carb on my Kombi, as it has some internals that I couldn't get cleaned out. I switched to AV100LL fuel and haven't had a single problem, since. I use Klotz 50:1 oil and mix it at that.

What I've been told, low-grade (87 octane) is refinery byproduct that has additives put in it to allow it to be burnable. Aviation fuel is pure, as we can't have planes falling out of the sky from crap fuel. Pump gas on your skin takes a couple days to get out. Aviation fuel on your skin lasts seconds and there is absolutely no residual smell. Around here, regular is ~$3.80 per gal, premium is $4+ per gal, AV100LL is $5.50 per gal. It burns cleaner and my stuff noticeably runs better. It's worth the extra expense, to me.

BTW, I've cleaned the carb on my little Echo, numerous times. But, it's 11 years old and still going.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 08-02-2013, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I was having paraffin problems, from pump gas. I even had to replace the carb on my Kombi, as it has some internals that I couldn't get cleaned out. I switched to AV100LL fuel and haven't had a single problem, since. I use Klotz 50:1 oil and mix it at that.

What I've been told, low-grade (87 octane) is refinery byproduct that has additives put in it to allow it to be burnable. Aviation fuel is pure, as we can't have planes falling out of the sky from crap fuel. Pump gas on your skin takes a couple days to get out. Aviation fuel on your skin lasts seconds and there is absolutely no residual smell. Around here, regular is ~$3.80 per gal, premium is $4+ per gal, AV100LL is $5.50 per gal. It burns cleaner and my stuff noticeably runs better. It's worth the extra expense, to me.

BTW, I've cleaned the carb on my little Echo, numerous times. But, it's 11 years old and still going.
For the record, your burning and thus inhaling leaded fuel. Probably not good in large doses. It's biggest bonus is ethanol free. But I don't burn it anymore due to lead concerns. Both personal and environmental.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
Been running Amsoil Sabre Professional at 100:1 in my Echos for several years and don't have any problems. I doubt the Amsoil is your problem of course I've never used the Quickshot.
I'm running out the rest of this and going back to 50:1. I found a filling station a little out of my way that has ethanol free gas. Guess I'm going to be doing massive fill up there's in the near future...
Old 08-03-2013, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
For the record, your burning and thus inhaling leaded fuel. Probably not good in large doses. It's biggest bonus is ethanol free. But I don't burn it anymore due to lead concerns. Both personal and environmental.
I know I'm being exposed to it and will use an alternative, once the local airport switches over/phases out LL. I can't afford to run unleaded, "race" fuel, which is pure. Plus, it's not local.

Keep in mind, there are an awful lot of aircraft in the sky expelling way more fumes to the environment than what a LC guy would be. Though, I don't understand why it's still being made.

'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
Old 08-03-2013, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfjoe View Post
I found a filling station a little out of my way that has ethanol free gas. Guess I'm going to be doing massive fill up there's in the near future...
Though, the ethanol is an issue for small engines, it's the additives being put into gasoline that is forming the deposits that is screwing up carburetors. I've been putting Seafoam in my carbureted, 4-stroke stuff and haven't had a problem with them, since. Maybe, I need to try that with my 2-stroke stuff, too.

'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
Old 08-03-2013, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm pretty sure the guys burning it in planes aren't having to breathe the exhaust fumes. As far as the environmental concerns... Sure they are burning more, but why would you want to burn any? I figure I'm already dumb enough, no more lead for me thanks.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
I figure I'm already dumb enough, no more lead for me thanks.

Yeah, I'm dealing with severe memory loss. I always have notepads and use the "notes" tool in my phone. My GF is already concerned where I'll be in 20yrs. Must be the lead.

'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
Old 08-03-2013, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Member

I love amsoil in my vehicles so I decided to try it. Called the tech line and they said run 100;1 That just seemed nuts so I ran about 80:1. Two weeks later and a one year old SRM225 with no issues previous was in the shop. Thankfully my dealer repaired it. I dumped the rest of my sabre into the waste oil. It may only be one guys experience but it was enough for me. I immediatly drained my other 2 cycle equipment and went back to lesco premium. I go through about 2 gallons a week in an average of 3 handhelds ranging from hedge clippers, to trimmer, vac, blower, chainsaw, pole trimmer etc. No issues before or since.

I have to say on this it seems amsoil is dead wrong. I thought about calling them to ask them to replace the 225 but I am sure there would be some excuse.

Still love them for my vehicles though.

Z
Old 08-03-2013, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zspeed130 View Post
I love amsoil in my vehicles so I decided to try it. Called the tech line and they said run 100;1 That just seemed nuts so I ran about 80:1. Two weeks later and a one year old SRM225 with no issues previous was in the shop. Thankfully my dealer repaired it. I dumped the rest of my sabre into the waste oil. It may only be one guys experience but it was enough for me. I immediatly drained my other 2 cycle equipment and went back to lesco premium. I go through about 2 gallons a week in an average of 3 handhelds ranging from hedge clippers, to trimmer, vac, blower, chainsaw, pole trimmer etc. No issues before or since.

I have to say on this it seems amsoil is dead wrong. I thought about calling them to ask them to replace the 225 but I am sure there would be some excuse.

Still love them for my vehicles though.

Z
I continue to use the rest of the amsoil I have in the bottle, but it will be at 50:1 then I will go back to echo 2 stroke. I don't run through it as fast as I am only a part timer with 10 accounts.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I was having trouble with my echo back pack blower. Then I found out that you have to use mid grade gas. 0 trouble. Low grade gas has to much ethanol. I have a echo trimmer and blower that are 10 years old and still run great.