Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-02-2013, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGuysLC View Post
So what do you do when he calls next week and says... I have a cousin that will cut it from now on.... you only made 50? Man... no matter what the outcome can be... always price the clean-up.... then negotiate the long term. You have invested a lot up front with no contract or guarantee that he will follow through. I applaud your business start up... but as previously mentioned... don't under price the market. When Ford sells a car they sell based on MSRP... not the class of the neighborhood. We too often bring our business down by trying to underbid or get jobs. You have got to make money... period. Your 250 price looked fair .... and I was with you... but you have lost money on this deal... learn from it and move on.
He already paid cash up front for the next month, I have $3 and some time invested in it (my time currently=$0/hr). So I'm really not sure where I lost money on this deal.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I was the king of grown up nightmares, i actually had lcos taking pics of me mpwing the yards when they drove by with my $13000 grasshopper. I hit a trailer with 5 ft ramp gate up on one yard cause you couldnt see it, and i gasped a little when i saw $50... i do $30 lot grown up for $90 mow and light trim only, but they had 8 i could do by myself in one day, and i was dirt cheap in oklahoma poorest per houshold income in nation i believe, or square mile one...
Old 08-02-2013, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

so you got 50 bucks for that one time?
Old 08-02-2013, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am not following I guess.... he paid your mowing fee for the month.. but according to your $25 price per cut you indicate you usually charge... that is maybe a $100 bill..... but you have already admitted you would charge $250 for the cleanup.... SO.... now you have done the $250 clean up... plus the next four cuts he has paid you for....at $25 each. That would be $350 in my pocket.... And You are saying $3..... and $0 for your labor.... I don't work for free. And if you truly figure your cost.... it goes much deeper than the $3 in gas you spent. Count the life of your mower.. belts, blades, oil, tires, trimmer string, trimmer oils, filters, INSURANCE, etc... your cost is way more than $3. I am not trying to bash .... but rather help you realize... you wont be around long doing this... get a handle on what it takes to make money... not just thinking you are... I promise.. if you sit down and really look at the bottom line... you will see....
Old 08-02-2013, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Member

For me i would have charged about 60 or more for that. Just one time.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGuysLC View Post
I am not following I guess.... he paid your mowing fee for the month.. but according to your $25 price per cut you indicate you usually charge... that is maybe a $100 bill..... but you have already admitted you would charge $250 for the cleanup.... SO.... now you have done the $250 clean up... plus the next four cuts he has paid you for....at $25 each. That would be $350 in my pocket.... And You are saying $3..... and $0 for your labor.... I don't work for free. And if you truly figure your cost.... it goes much deeper than the $3 in gas you spent. Count the life of your mower.. belts, blades, oil, tires, trimmer string, trimmer oils, filters, INSURANCE, etc... your cost is way more than $3. I am not trying to bash .... but rather help you realize... you wont be around long doing this... get a handle on what it takes to make money... not just thinking you are... I promise.. if you sit down and really look at the bottom line... you will see....
Hah I'm sure he's thinking about his insurance, tax, and equipment depreciation. it's included in his $25 service

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 08-03-2013, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormond32176 View Post
As far as demos go, how exactly do those work?
Just go to the dealer and start one. You'll see the difference, right away. They move a huge volume of air, as the fan is way bigger than what's in a handheld unit.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
Dolmar 245.4 string trimmer
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 08-03-2013, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Just go to the dealer and start one. You'll see the difference, right away. They move a huge volume of air, as the fan is way bigger than what's in a handheld unit.
I meant the demos. I've used backpack blowers before. I was just wondering if you had to put down a deposit, or credit card, or something elsewhere before they turn you loose with their equipment.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexschultz1 View Post
Hah I'm sure he's thinking about his insurance, tax, and equipment depreciation. it's included in his $25 service
It's a lot harder to grow a customer base without customers than it is with them. Try being 18 again with an old lawn tractor, a 13 year old truck, and a utility trailer trying to charge top professional rates for a 2 hour job in the middle of a low income neighborhood and tell me how successful you are. You have to start somewhere and If I listened to people like you, I would have spent that day sitting on my ass doing nothing, instead of being outside and proving my abilities and attempting to establish a business. That costs a lot more than knocking down some weeds. I already have funds saved for wear and tear and know more goes into it than $3 for gas. Every little use degrades equipment a little bit more, but that's why you buy decent stuff and perform this thing called routine maintenance.

Honestly, I feel like I spend more time defending myself on this forum than I do learning how to run a business.

And you can try ragging on a $25 service, but when you don't know the lawn, the area, or anything about the local pricing, you're just going to make yourself look like an ass. Good job.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Member

i would rather do the job for 25 bucks then walk away cause they can't afford me. 25 bucks is better than going back home for nothing. at that price you can just enjoy the cutting and see the yard transform into nicely cut. that 25 bucks is gas for the machine and your truck.

you can make money when the guy is impressed and you have him as a steady customer.