Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-03-2013, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Texas AOLP

I was a member of the AOLP a year or two back and thought for sure there would be some sort of meetings or training in Texas considering it's the second most populous state. After spending hundreds of dollars and not getting anything in return for my investment locally I let the membership lapse. I wasn't pushing lighting sales so the logo alone didn't have any value as a sales tool.

With the drought issue in Texas I'm looking to get serious about lighting again to diversify. Has there been any AOLP stuff going on in Texas at all? It would be nice if there some annual training here. Anything I do I like to do with a 100% effort.

I'm still amazed at all the companies that still use wire nuts on stranded wire. It's still pretty much the norm here in the Austin area. After losing a $750 Mountain Laurel due to a bad wire nut connection that shorted out after a few years I became a fan of the solder pot back in 2005.

I've seen tiny irrigation size wire (16 gauge?) nuts used and one two million dollar house had interior use nut used on all the tree connections. Checking voltages here will turn up all kinds of interesting numbers. I'm sure there are some good companies here but it's definitely not the norm.

One of the sales people at Cascade had mentioned someone had made up a pretty slick homemade demo kit with battery powered LED lights. No cables to mess with and a five minute job to set up a demo. I'm sure I could rig up something myself but wanted to see if anyone had posted any info or pics about a similar kit.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 08-03-2013, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Hi. I'm also in the Austin area most of the time. We are members of AOLP as well but haven't heard of any training in this area. I provide lighting training if you want to update your knowledge or simply train your guys. Im a TX Lighting Sales Rep for Horizon Distributors. I know that there's a Texas Chapter that is slowly coming together but I haven't heard much more about it. Someone to talk to about that if your interested might be Paul Goslin with Night Scenes.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERAM View Post
Hi. I'm also in the Austin area most of the time. We are members of AOLP as well but haven't heard of any training in this area. I provide lighting training if you want to update your knowledge or simply train your guys. Im a TX Lighting Sales Rep for Horizon Distributors. I know that there's a Texas Chapter that is slowly coming together but I haven't heard much more about it. Someone to talk to about that if your interested might be Paul Goslin with Night Scenes.
I was hoping Paul would chime in on the status of the Texas chapter. I was just at Horizon the other picking up some odds and ends. I wish Horizon hadn't axed the Kichler business that Water Zone had built up. Water Zone used to have the best prices on Kichler stuff. The other places in town were not competitive with Water Zones prices.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 08-03-2013, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would recommend that you rejoin AOLP. IMO, the AOLP chapters have not been as popular as expected. However, the main organization is rapidly growing. The yearly conference is the place to be. Paul is also very active on social media if he doesn't check in here.