Old 08-04-2013, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

How many hours on the old 28/66 now?

I think we have about 1400 on our 31/60 and the hydros are still good
Old 08-04-2013, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
No matter if you put 10 hrs. or 30 hrs. per week on a mower, problems will eventually show up, and together I've put 2500 hrs.+ on Super Z mowers without seeing any of the structural problems of cracks or mufflers falling off, no electrical problems of any type, no wiring problems of any type, never had a clutch fail or give any problem. The first down time I ever had was due to a pan gasket seeping, of which most people would have continued to run because of it being so minor.

I'm the type person that will not own a piece of any type machinery that is not mechanically perfect, so to say I own and operate Hustler Super Z mowers is a very strong testimony to the machine, or at least to the ones I've owned.

I can understand some, such as yourself have not been that fortunate, and if you get one that puts a bad taste in your mouth, you will probably look for another brand to own and operate, I know I would.
If Hustler would of had a deck that cut clean up here, and if they had changed the wheel motors I might of traded it in on another super z but that was not the case. Plus downtime cost us our livlihood ? I think we put a lot more heat cycles in our mowers each day than you , causing weak points to show up in less hrs than yours. The heat under my super z was intense with the 30 kohler bad design on the heat from the exhaust weep holes, literally melted the pigtail where it plugged into the clutch.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 08-04-2013, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag360 View Post
How many hours on the old 28/66 now?

I think we have about 1400 on our 31/60 and the hydros are still good
That is a good number but you have the heavier style wheel motors whereas I was running the old style wheel motors. My dealer told me from all the hydraulic components he had replaced on Super Z's, the old style was good for about 1200 hrs., some went a little longer some a little less. I had one side go down at 1200, so I replaced everything on both sides with the new style. I changed both pumps and wheel motors to make sure no more problems occurred.

How many hours do you put on your 31/60 per year, I would be interested in knowing how long your hydraulics hold up?
Old 08-04-2013, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

600-700 hrs per year but it has been replaced with the gravely 272 and is just waiting now for fall when we'll either sell it or use it as a dedicated leaf machine. The leaf vac on the xr7 decks is the nicest I've ever had the pleasure of owning and it will be hard to part with it.

I'm pleasantly surprised that the wheel motors have held up since we have a lot of steep terrain here. I think one thing that helps is that running slower on the steep stuff, for safety's sale, has minimized wear - even though our properties look like hydro killers.

Last edited by mag360; 08-04-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag360 View Post
600-700 hrs per year but it has been replaced with the gravely 272 and is just waiting now for fall when we'll either sell it or use it as a dedicated leaf machine. The leaf vac on the xr7 decks is the nicest I've ever had the pleasure of owning and it will be hard to part with it.

I'm pleasantly surprised that the wheel motors have held up since we have a lot of steep terrain here. I think one thing that helps is that running slower on the steep stuff, for safety's sale, has minimized wear - even though our properties look like hydro killers.
Why not keep it for leaf removal, with the newer style wheel motors your hydraulics may hang in there for several years if only using it for leaves.