Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-03-2013, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Advice, Compact Tractors

Hello, I am a contractor in North Dakota and have shifted my business from Lawn Care to primary just erosion control and hydroseeding, I am looking to get a compact tractor this fall for next years season. I have operated very few compact tractors but have 1000's hours on skid steers, reason I want a tractor VS Skid Steer is I am going to buy a 3 point seeder so we can do drill seeding as well.

The tractor will have to be able to lift at least one ton with loader, and be able to handle a seeder, silt fence installer and eventually a soil conditioner. What do you recommend, as far as brand, horse power, Mech or hydro transmissions and so on. Only machines I have checked out is some john deeres and Bobcat, I like the Bobcat but hear bad things about them braking down and having crappy foreign built transmissions.

Any advice i appreciated. THANKS!
www.greencatnd.com
Old 08-04-2013, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Check out the mahindra 4010. Id go with hydrostatic tranny. It will lift 2600 lbs. good price. built to last. Its 38 HP.

I wouldnt go with bobcat. They arent very serious players in the compact tractor market. All they are is a different color/badge kioti.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Where in North Dakota? I've got lots if family in Fargo and Paige.

I second the Mahinda. I've got a 5010 w/ cab. 4wd, FEL. Great machine, awesome lifting capacity.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My vote us usually kubota. Your going to need a heafty size tractor for that. Now how high do you want to lift a ton? I looked at the kubota L3600(36hp), nice tractor. $21k with loader. I think it had a lifting capacity of 1400 lbs, now that's all the way to the top. You would have to go for the bigger L series to be able to do a ton over head. Also kubota are 6000+ hour machinces.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

check out Kioti. Some people write them off as junk, but I have one and it's very capable and solid. Also heavier than the JD and Kubota of similar size. Kubotas are nice work horses though. I'd go Hydro if you plan to do a lot of loader work. Mine is a shuttle shift and that's fine but a hydro would be nice. Also, be sure it's got a "live" pto with 580/1000 rpm. Get dual rear remotes too even if you don't think you'll need them. You'll use them sooner or later for something. oh, be sure it's 4x4 too. think about tires, i'd think industrial tread would be nice for what you'd do. ag tires might do more damage if you're trying to do finish grading but maybe not. just tossing out some ideas. post pics when you get one
Old 08-05-2013, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Where in North Dakota? I've got lots if family in Fargo and Paige.

I second the Mahinda. I've got a 5010 w/ cab. 4wd, FEL. Great machine, awesome lifting capacity.
Thanks for input so far guys.

Never heard of Mahinda before have to check into that. Where in Western Nd. Doing work all over, most is oilfield related.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

sooo in kubota the smallest you can get to budge a ton is the L3800 which would be 23k and to more it no problem would be the L4600. which would be about 29k http://kubota.com/product/L3200/pdf/l_series_spec.pdf. They also have dealers all around ND
Old 08-05-2013, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Check out LS tractors, I bought one over a year ago and have been very pleased with it.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Bobcat are nice but no....I have heard they have or are dropping the tractors. New Hollands are ok - there what I have but alot of issues and if your heavy with a seeder it will tear them apart - we have weled, reinforced etc the 3 pt to handle the weight over time they are built to thin. JD is good and I like them but spendy. My vote now would be kubota. I dont think there controls are as user friendly as NH or JD but ruggness, built to endure, etc kubota will hang its ground now and in the long run.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Im totally sold on Kubota. Parts are easy to get and a run out unit still holds its value to when its time to sell or trade you still have something worth something. Jmho we use ours for so many tasks. Even chipping. Its a all day, every day work horse.

Tags
bobcat , compact tractor , hydroseed