Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-06-2013, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Member

I have been looking at mulching kits and options for the different brands. I must say they have some options..... What is the chain on a disc mulching kit gizmo how does that work?

I am passing on the plastic chrome wheels unless the dealer throws them in for the cash deal. So Far the 997 Deere and the Gravely prices are the best.

Just for comparison:
SCAG Turf Tiger diesel 17000+ tax
35hp gas 14000 + tax

997 MSRP $21000 at dealer 17300+ tax 2013
2014 + 1500 for emissions control mandate according to dealer =$22500 MSRP
2012 w/ 14 hrs 13500 cash

Thursday at Empire Farm Days should have show specials and I am bringing a trailer. If not I will be going to Gravely and if not impressed I will be loading a 997.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSLR View Post
I have been looking at mulching kits and options for the different brands. I must say they have some options..... What is the chain on a disc mulching kit gizmo how does that work?

I am passing on the plastic chrome wheels unless the dealer throws them in for the cash deal. So Far the 997 Deere and the Gravely prices are the best.

Just for comparison:
SCAG Turf Tiger diesel 17000+ tax
35hp gas 14000 + tax

997 MSRP $21000 at dealer 17300+ tax 2013
2014 + 1500 for emissions control mandate according to dealer =$22500 MSRP
2012 w/ 14 hrs 13500 cash

Thursday at Empire Farm Days should have show specials and I am bringing a trailer. If not I will be going to Gravely and if not impressed I will be loading a 997.
You should check out grasshopper and ventrac/stiner for kicks. Gravely also has diesel options.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I guess it never hurts to look around, but that Deere 997 should already be in your garage for that price. You'll have to look long and hard to ever find a better mower for that money, and I don't care who made it. The 997 has a great rep and for good reason. Plus, the 7 Iron has a great rep for good reason also. I can vouch personally for them.

Just remember the old adage- "you snooze, you lose".
Old 08-06-2013, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Member

The owner is out of town so I can look while the deal is in limbo. I need to add a suspension seat and I am learning how to make a rear bumper/ guard for it on youtube. I plan to have something home in barn Saturday night mowing Sunday morning/afternoon after grass dries if I can wait.

Gravely and Deere are still best deals so far. Thursday will be interesting.

Grasshopper was the first one I looked at. I just don't like the color, sorry I can't ride on it looks like hell to me with that morbid color combo but it is a very good unit.

Ventrac dealer is poor here, will not stand by equipment.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
The owner is out of town so I can look while the deal is in limbo. I need to add a suspension seat and I am learning how to make a rear bumper/ guard for it on youtube. I plan to have something home in barn Saturday night mowing Sunday morning/afternoon after grass dries if I can wait.

Gravely and Deere are still best deals so far. Thursday will be interesting.

Grasshopper was the first one I looked at. I just don't like the color, sorry I can't ride on it looks like hell to me with that morbid color combo but it is a very good unit.

Ventrac dealer is poor here, will not stand by equipment.

So when 2014 rolls in the 997 at 13500 is about $7000 under dealer price which he said will be $18800 plus 8% tax about $20000. I think I am almost making money buying it.
That means all diesels will have to be emmisions controlled so all the prices will be jacked about 1500 smackers. They will probably be forced to have catalytic converters Corning Inc. brand not cheap.

Last edited by MarkSLR; 08-06-2013 at 02:12 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
So when 2014 rolls in the 997 at 13500 is about $7000 under dealer price which he said will be $18800 plus 8% tax about $20000. I think I am almost making money buying it.
I can't say you're making money buying it, but you sure are saving it. You would be making money if you bought it just to turn it, which would defeat the reason for buying it in the first place- saving money and getting a great machine.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I can't say you're making money buying it, but you sure are saving it. You would be making money if you bought it just to turn it, which would defeat the reason for buying it in the first place- saving money and getting a great machine.
I work hard trying to decide. on the best ztr for myself so I will be keeping it and tweaking it to perfection.

I need to see some 997 stripes.

The 472 Gravely vs 997 John Deere....

Toro has been out to lunch which is sad no demo nothing... D580 60 inch 13800 plus tax can' t even see it unless I order it! BS

Last edited by MarkSLR; 08-06-2013 at 02:21 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I work hard trying to decide. on the best ztr for myself so I will be keeping it and tweaking it to perfection.

I need to see some 997 stripes.

The 472 Gravely vs 997 John Deere....

Toro has been out to lunch which is sad no demo nothing... D580 60 inch 13800 plus tax can' t even see it unless I order it! BS

How old is the 7 Iron II deck? Who can help me tweak it in the right direction? Blades; deck adjustment rpms/tachometer?

Gravely will do all this upfront?

Last edited by MarkSLR; 08-06-2013 at 02:30 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
How old is the 7 Iron II deck? Who can help me tweak it in the right direction? Blades; deck adjustment rpms/tachometer?

This thread will be closed Sunday!!!
I will be upgrading my JD 770 4x4 tractor to about a 50 HP tractor w/ loader.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

First, are you sure it is the 7 Iron II deck? They started making the 997 with the Pro deck this year. Second, I have owned both the II version and the Pro, and both are near identical in performance.

The best set up for them normally is 1/4" of pitch (lower in the front) on the two outer blades when they are both pointing straight front to back, and someone of the weight of the normal operator on the seat. Set the pitch with the deck set at the HOC you will use most often (though with all my Deere Z's, this hasn't mattered since the pitch has remained the same regardless of the HOC setting). Setting pitch and level is in the manual, and easy to understand and follow. They normally recommend 1/8" -3/8" depending on the machine and deck size, but i have found 1/4" set as described above to be the best.

Deere is normally pretty good about having the engines set correctly for RPM for the particular engine in the machine. High lift blades will give you the best cut and stripes regardless of whether or not it is the II version or the Pro deck, but both decks work quite well with G6 blades, at least in the 60" size..