Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-06-2013, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Member

New Guy in town

Hello all. I have been coming to this site every day for the last couple months trying to muster up the courage to finally go for it. Well two weeks ago I decided to go full speed ahead. I ordered some flyers, a shirt, a yard sign, and a car magnet from Vista Print. Wife let me use $2k from the savings to buy a 89' Dodge Dakota, and my uncle gave me a weedeater push mower with a Briggs&Stratton motor. He also gave me a Toro trimmer that he said was commercial but the model has long been worn off. I set out last Friday and only put out 20 or so of the 100 flyers I bought and was doubtful that this "lawn thing" was going to work, but I had my hopes. Well the very next day I had a guy beggin for me to come because it was his wives birthday and he had to have the lawn cut. The same day I had three more people call while I was busy with his. So within 4 days I had already cut 4 lawns, and today I was called again to do a bid. To celebrate I had to go get a Self Propelled 190cc Honda exite mower. This thing is a BEAST!! Wife is happy, Im ecstatic, and I really think this is going to work. Oh by the way, I am in Fayetteville, NC, a Staff Sergeant in the Army, and is 6 years from retirement.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Welcome to Green and Dusty land

Welcome to the land of green weeds, dusty lawns, sugar sand, and the occassional nice green turf. I started out 7 years ago, just like you. Want more business, get your present customers to provide feedback on your services and have them join angie's list and do so. My business has increased by 72% this year alone from members of Angies list. Good luck!
Old 08-07-2013, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Ncredman69, congrats on the great start, it sounds like you're well on your way to success! imow in NC, I've thought about using Angie's List...do you have a paid membership there? I heard that they won't show ALL of your reviews (particularly hiding more of the good ones) if you don't have a paid membership.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Welcome to the forum. Glad you are off to a good start.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome Redman! Sounds like you are off to a great start! I mow in the Hope Mills area, and do some Fayetteville, too. When you start looking for commercial equipment, I would like to recommend the guys at Diamond Outdoor Power Equipment. They are an ExMark and Stihl dealer, and Larry will provide excellent counsel, as he and his wife run a rather large LCO, too.

I got out as a SSG, over 15 years ago now. Thank you for your service. What's your MOS?
Old 08-14-2013, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome... good luck in your new venture. Thanks for your service also
Old 08-16-2013, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Member

I am a 91C but when you were in it was 52C, system utilities repairer
Old 08-16-2013, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In my days, I was a 98G, now it is 35P. Hey, you have a skill that is actually useful on the outside, too!