Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-07-2013, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Keep marketing?

After starting out only a few months ago, we are up to the point where we have about 20 weekly accounts to take care of. My partner and I both work full-time and we probably can't handle a whole lot more than we have now (maybe 5-7 more).
So my question is would you stop advertising and hopefully pick up a few more referrals? Or keep going until we are maxed out?

Just today we locked up our first commercial account (a small one), picked up 3 new yards in my subdivision (one is a one-time cut), an another yard from facebook about 10 minutes from our houses. This isn't a typical day obviously but we are gaining clients faster than we anticipated. What would you do?
Old 08-07-2013, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Depends on how much you like answering the phone for no good reason.

I guess you could always cherry pick from incoming calls and see if any would be better than ones you currently have - then drop the less desirable ones.
That's where I'm at. I'm full, but I still go look at any estimate requests BEFORE I decline them.
I haven't advertised since spring, but people find the website (a good thing) and I am getting more, and more calls from Angie's List members because of my good reviews.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:03 AM
LawnSite Member

I suppose I could keep taking calls and replace a few of the ones I wouldn't mind losing with closer, higher priced accounts. I now have 4 houses in my 220 house subdivision and I'd like to get more.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Every new account and the current accounts you already have are ads. "If you build it, they will come." If your about maxed, save the money, you'll continue to grow without the paid ads.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Let me add that I admit spending any money advertising. I was making my own flyers and printing them at work. Then just had to wall and distribute them. Then I was using Craigslist and facebook.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoGuyswithMowers View Post
After starting out only a few months ago, we are up to the point where we have about 20 weekly accounts to take care of. My partner and I both work full-time and we probably can't handle a whole lot more than we have now (maybe 5-7 more).
So my question is would you stop advertising and hopefully pick up a few more referrals? Or keep going until we are maxed out?

Just today we locked up our first commercial account (a small one), picked up 3 new yards in my subdivision (one is a one-time cut), an another yard from facebook about 10 minutes from our houses. This isn't a typical day obviously but we are gaining clients faster than we anticipated. What would you do?
Cherry pick and raise pricing until you are maxed out and very happy with your pricing. I find it hard to believe you and your partner are maxed out at 20 yards. I have 23 only 3 are EOW and some are 5,2.5,1.5,1 acre lawns. Im still taking more on and working 50 plus hours a week at job number one. I do work a lot of hours that most will never work but I think two guys with decent working hours available can do 40 half acre and under lawns a week. I will be doing some cherry picking next year.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Well yeah I suppose we could do more yards. I mean we are maxed out as far as how many yards we can do and still have time for any life. We are both married with two small children and our families do expect us to spend some time with them. I think we could take on plenty more accounts if we wanted to do nothing but work. But we are trying to find that balance where we have time for everything.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Completely understand because all I do is work. If you are doing it for side money try to get the cream of the crop accounts and take really good care of them. I'm trying to go full time at this that's why the crazy hours.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Going full-time is the long term goal, but since I have a pretty decent paying job I'm a long way from being able to replace my income and make it happen. Got to get debt free first, which is what the extra mowing money is meant for.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's the way it's done. Same here.