Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-06-2013, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Xr7 blade information

Ok guys as most of you know I was having horrific cutting problems with my super z. I tried everything and finally came up with the solution. I was forced to shim the rear of the center spindle 1/8" in order to level the center blade compared to the others. This cured the problem for the most part. Now I only see the problem in very thick/tall grass.

Now for the title of the thread, I was using the stock xr7 high lift blades in the beginning of the season and they did fairly well, but they clogged up my deck like nothing else. I was getting so tired of cleaning it so I looked for other blade options. I considered using g6's made for the 66" pro master, but I like traditional blades. I settled on the new super high lifts for the 66" vx4. They are a notched high lift opposed to the solid sail high lifts from the xr7.

This brings us to the good information. It has been raining extensively around here for the last couple of weeks and I have been so far behind, cutting some overgrown nasty stuff. Many of my properties are untreated and suffer from crabgrass and sedge when it's really wet. I have been overly impressed with these blades. They cut very well and really clean the deck as you mow. I will try to get some video of them doing their work this week. They do take some more juice to run, but I will trade that off to not have to scrape as much.

This is just helpful information I thought I would share, I wasn't sure how many people have tried the new blades on the older decks.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think TLS did the same thing with his before he sold it a couple months ago.
Looking forwards to the video, and glad you are finally happy with it. It really sucks when you can't get them to cut like they are supposed to.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Video: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L0tZZT-WS1U

Finally got a chance to mow today. We have had rain every day for the last two weeks almost. This is a 2 1/2 acre property that hasn't been mowed for around 3 weeks today. As you can see there is standing water in the video. I hate mowing in the wet and have finally come to the point where I have to.

These blades perform way better than my standard high lift blades. I parked the mower up on the ramp when I finished and checked underneath. Much to my surprise there was very little build up, only a little around the spindles and in between the blades on the front skirt.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like it was doing a good job.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Doesn't throw grass like the 7 iron lol.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
Doesn't throw grass like the 7 iron lol.
Have you ever tried taking the triangular baffle out in the pic in this link? If so, I think it would be darn close-

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...1&postcount=16
Old 08-13-2013, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have that piece, mine is the 66". There are two flow control baffles that bolt up to the front lip, but I took those out.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Have you checked the RPM's? Maybe they aren't up to where they need to be. That will definitely make a difference in discharge ability. I can't see any reason that the XR-7 won't cut great, yet almost everyone says it was nothing but problems on any turf outside of Bahia. To me, it looks like a much better design than the VX4, at least the 60 incher's do.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No I haven't checked the rpms. I'll do that and see. It really doesn't do bad at all in deep thick stuff. All I needed yesterday was a little more motor than the fx850 to keep the blade speed up. The problem I see with it is the airflow. It seems to have a good deal of turbulance under the deck, and it really stands out when you are cutting anything other than healthy fescue. If I cut really tall Bermuda it leaves strips between the outside and center blades on each side.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The pumps on your SZ must rob a lot of power. I have the same engine on my Z950/60" MOD and it has plenty of power, even for the kind of cutting in your video. When I turned mine up from where it was as I got it (3580 off load, 3480 on load), to the correct speed it is at now (3680 off load, 3620 on load), it made a noticeable difference. As can be seen in the RPM's listed here, by upping them to where the engine should be, the drop to RPM on load is smaller now. that shows me the engine is more efficient now. I've checked them over and over and the numbers are always the same since upping them.