Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-06-2013, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
Actually no. The Stihl spec is given "minus cutting attachment and deflector". The Husky spec is "minus cutting equipment". So weight advantage goes to Husky by 1.5lbs+
Exactly right. This ain't my first rodeo with this subject. I own both Stihl and Husky trimmers. I know the specs before posting.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post
What is the reason for needing a lightweight trimmer?
For me it is all about being able to throw the trimmer around while trimming around obstacles like bushes, poles etc. For straight line trimming down a chain link or ditch bank, weight still matters, but it isn't quite as important to me when I can just hold it in one basic position and move along.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I won't speak for the OP here, but for myself. On some jobs I trim for up to 2 hours straight. A lightweight, fuel efficient trimmer makes sense. Why lug around a bigger heavier machine than you need to?
You pack a bigger trimmer you take your 2hrs and cut it in half

Little trimmer is slow and you have to walk slow with it when you trim tall weeds or thick grass
Trust me I trim on one job for 3.5 hrs x 4 guys straight I rather pack my FS130 anything smaller then a FS110 is a waste of time in my book
I run bike handles and shoulder straps so the weight isn't notice much.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
You pack a bigger trimmer you take your 2hrs and cut it in half

Little trimmer is slow and you have to walk slow with it when you trim tall weeds or thick grass
Trust me I trim on one job for 3.5 hrs x 4 guys straight I rather pack my FS130 anything smaller then a FS110 is a waste of time in my book
I run bike handles and shoulder straps so the weight isn't notice much.
Yes and no. We may be splitting hairs here but. I have records complete with time in and time out over 5 years on a big job. Initially I was using an Echo srm2100. When I switched to Redmax bcz24xx it cut trim time due to increased power, enabling greater speed. When I went to a Stihl fs110, I had to stop for an additional refueling. Negating any real advantage.

So in my experience, the extra power helps, but fuel efficiency comes into play. On small jobs you can push through faster. Absolutely no doubt, bigger trimmers clear overgrowth faster. For regular weekly service I prefer something light. Besides, I ain't no kid anymore.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Yes and no. We may be splitting hairs here but. I have records complete with time in and time out over 5 years on a big job. Initially I was using an Echo srm2100. When I switched to Redmax bcz24xx it cut trim time due to increased power, enabling greater speed. When I went to a Stihl fs110, I had to stop for an additional refueling. Negating any real advantage.

So in my experience, the extra power helps, but fuel efficiency comes into play. On small jobs you can push through faster. Absolutely no doubt, bigger trimmers clear overgrowth faster. For regular weekly service I prefer something light. Besides, I ain't no kid anymore.
Well on fuel part my FS130 I run half throttle 50% of time plus. The path I trim 18-24'' a little trimmer wont do that on one pass
But then again if you doing Res lawns I see your point, Im not a spring chicken either but one thing I hate most is a trimmer I have to wait on . Weekly stuff I have
I'm tall and have long legs I walk my normal speed all the time
Time is money I run fast mowers so I run fast trimmers.

My Aunt RIP died Friday She came to work for me after she retired back in 98. She started with me in 2000. Up to this year do to health issues
Started out doing Flower beds and riding mower then started to run trimmers
She ran FS85 and last 4 yrs she ran FS110 I tell this at 71 yrs old she didn't want to run a little trimmer. I bought her a light one she hated it and she was faster on a bigger trimmer. She would out work most men and all young guys I hired in the past 13 yrs

You run a trimmer by hand and bent over . I would be same way I would want light one . I run straps like I said before you don't notice the weight and never bent over.