Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-03-2013, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Dualsmows, most of these posts are from within the last month. The puffer is a great unit, I would highly recommend it! It's been a real back saver for me. The review posted above is excellent and from my experience with my unit, it's bang on.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I see a lot of complaints about the harsh rides of ztr's on LawnSite. I feel most ztr's have SUB PAR suspension seats on them . I know Gravely has stepped up with an actual air ride type seat on their 400 series. Most other MFG'S either use spring or gas shock type suspensions which are ok but no where in the same league as an air ride .

Using the air ride kinda reminds me of riding a 4 wheeler (quad).You have 2 choices , you can just sit on the seat and let the shocks do all the work but as the ride gets rougher your body gets abused. Or You can utilize your legs along with the suspension over the rough stuff which is way less abusing on you . So while mowing smooth areas I just sit .On the rough areas I use my legs to help the seat absorb the jarring.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

So sorry I've been away. I am still using the puffer air ride. Like was said earlier in another link, the company was great to deal with. I was amazed when he told me buy it. Use it, if you don't like it send it back. I'll refund your money. The set up does raise your ride height, which does take a little bit to get used to. I was able to adjust my levers and made myself comfortable. It has helped my back out a lot. I really wish I would have bought it sooner.
2008 Exmark 46" Laser HP W/Powerchute & Air Ride
2010 Exmark 52" Vantage
2009 Toro 52" GrandStand W/Powerchute
2010 Lawn Solutions Ride On Aerator
Stihl FS 90 Trimmers
Stihl MS 170 & MS 390 Chainsaws
Stihl HT 101 Pole Saw
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blowers
Stihl BG55 & SH86 Handheld Blowers
Stihl Yard Boss Cultivator
Honda F220 Rototiller
Echo HC150 Shrub Trimmer
Old 04-27-2014, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Riden the puffer sure is smooth!
Old 05-30-2014, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Member

A Puffer or Grammer?

I noticed the puffer pictures before the installation show a suspension seat. Is the Puffer that much better and does anyone think the puffer would be better than the grammer or vice versa? I'm finding the grammer seat on e-bay for 599 plus shipping whereas the puffer is 399 and free shipping.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Puffer is just the air ride no seat. You mount it under your existing seat very easy to do.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Puffer does make the operating position of the mower significantly higher an does take a good while to get use to.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpmaster View Post
Puffer is just the air ride no seat. You mount it under your existing seat very easy to do.
Thanks bumpmaster. I understand it mounts under my existing seat. Do you have one and if so, is it a better ride in your opinion than just a standard mechanical suspension seat? I also know it raises your body a few inches but the grammer air seat is only a couple of hundred dollars more and includes a seat and is more low profile than the puffer. I'm just trying to decide which would be the best ride. I've got no suspension on my John Deere Z930M which has a good standard deluxe seat but it beats me to death on my lawns and I also cut some steep slopes and have no trouble doing so at the moment with nothing extra under my seat.

Thanks again!
Old 05-30-2014, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes I have a puffer. Never road a mechanical seat suspension system so can not help you out on that one.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

After having a few major back surgeries last year, including a bunch of fused vertebra, along with the associated pins, screws, rods, cages, I ordered a ZTR PUFFER. It is everything the manufacturer claims it to be ... I believe you could mount a 2"X12" on top of it, and it would be comfortable. That said, if I could recover most of my investment, I would sell it in a minute. I am fairly tall (6'-4") with a long torso ... I only mow a few yards for myself and a couple of family members ... some of the property has a fairly steep slope, and the PUFFER makes me "feel" like I'm very top-heavy. I'm having a dozer come out and knock down the incline a bit, but I don't know when he'll be here. I just feel like the PUFFER put me in a position that doesn't feel right to me. The ride is GREAT ... the sensation of sitting up those extra few inches just creeps me out. I know the manufacturer offers a money-back trial guarantee, but I bought it late last year ... didn't get to try it out until recently, and I don't feel I have any right asking him to take it back at this point.

Even though it didn't work out exactly as I had hoped, I can still wholeheartedly recommend it. The materials and construction are absolutely top shelf.

Tags
air ride , exmark , suspension , toro