Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-09-2013, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Survivability Success Stories

We hear all the promises of better results for 'Organic Lawns' and I utilize a lot of natural healthy elements in my total care package...

Do other any practitioners out there see healthier turf on the organic/semi-organic lawns,,, vs. the strict TGCL programs???

I see browning and heat tracks on ALL the Lawns tended by the over-active Squirt&Fert guys... My naturally cared for lawns are looking green and vibrant with only a fraction of the irrigation, fertilization and cost...
Old 08-09-2013, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I have worked for an all organic lawn care company for many years. The turf seems to look better but the problem is all the weeds that come with the organic side of things. There are many properties that I am embarrassed to pull up to because the weeds are just terrible. My boss has got us hand weeding this one lawn that is 1 1/4 acre. It is absurd to me, and I only have the patience to go at it for an hour at a time.
It is great for him that he has clients willing to pay 35$ per hour to hand weed their lawns. It just does not seem practical. Is there something you use for weeds besides corn gluten?
Old 08-10-2013, 07:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't make a religion out of organics, rather time the fert apps according to the life cycle in which it is helpful rather than detrimental to root systems... Organic ferts I use are Milorganite and compost...
I never use Pre-M on lawns,, but I do spot spray for broadleaf...
To me the biggest issue with synfert programs is that they must apply something every 4 weeks in order to make money,,, therefore there is always something to stress the turf during the heat of Summer,,, for cool-season grasses... Nitrogen Burn is real,,, IMO...
Old 08-11-2013, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcamizz View Post
I have worked for an all organic lawn care company for many years. The turf seems to look better but the problem is all the weeds that come with the organic side of things. There are many properties that I am embarrassed to pull up to because the weeds are just terrible. My boss has got us hand weeding this one lawn that is 1 1/4 acre. It is absurd to me, and I only have the patience to go at it for an hour at a time.
It is great for him that he has clients willing to pay 35$ per hour to hand weed their lawns. It just does not seem practical. Is there something you use for weeds besides corn gluten?
Have your boss read this article in the latest issue of Turf.
http://www.turfmagazine.com/article-9690.aspx
While neither Fiesta nor ADIOS are technically "organic", both of these weed control products have minimal health or environmental concerns.

Some fine tuning of cultural practises will also go a long way in reducing turf grass weeds.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 08-13-2013, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I was comfortable enough with the cool weather, this early in the season that even just running sprinklers I went ahead and put down fertilizer... The color is starting to change into a deeper green after languishing during the Summer Semi-dormancy... Still not growing very fast, but looking like Fall grass 10 days later...
A lot of thinning took place as a result of last year, but we have an extra month to turn this around...
Old 08-17-2013, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This coming week I plan to do the non-organic,,, yet environmentally responsible act of spot spraying broadleaf weeds... I'm thinking also of adding more molasses, while the ground is still warm and will hopefully digest some of the raw OM, before it gets too thick...

I am very pleased with the turf that received nothing but water since June as compared to the other neighborhood lawns that received their 'meds' throughout July and August... I am afraid that those brown spots and heat tracks are going to have more dead grass again,,, whereas the healthy naturally enhanced turf is getting fuller in the well irrigated areas...

So there is no one out there doing the 'organic' thing even in small measure and seeing better results than their pre-m/6 step brothers???
Old 08-17-2013, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't use pre-ems on turf but am not organic either. No fertilizer in April unless it is my first year on the property and nothing was done the previous September or October. Usually no fertilizer after first week in June and prefer to finish before June 1. No fertilizers in July and if I feel forced to use any before August 15 (plus or minus a few days for weather), then I use organic and make it clear they are not getting off the hook for Labor Day week fertilizer and another sometime 4 to 6 weeks later. Three fertilizer applications a year is typical for my places, four would be high end. I am still figuring out what I think has happened to optimum results without P.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
I don't use pre-ems on turf but am not organic either. No fertilizer in April unless it is my first year on the property and nothing was done the previous September or October. Usually no fertilizer after first week in June and prefer to finish before June 1. No fertilizers in July and if I feel forced to use any before August 15 (plus or minus a few days for weather), then I use organic and make it clear they are not getting off the hook for Labor Day week fertilizer and another sometime 4 to 6 weeks later. Three fertilizer applications a year is typical for my places, four would be high end. I am still figuring out what I think has happened to optimum results without P.
That is pretty much the optimum timing for the cool-season grasses, so I'm not surprised you achieved optimum results w/out P...

Are most of your lawns mulch-mowed???
Old 08-17-2013, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
That is pretty much the optimum timing for the cool-season grasses, so I'm not surprised you achieved optimum results w/out P...

Are most of your lawns mulch-mowed???
Ha! That's not quite what I said but I appreciate it Athletic fields only, no clipping removal. Have to mow every 3rd day, stretch to 4 in some parts of the year. When a team is in season fields are mowed for every home game, even if it is somehow 3 days in a row, no matter what it does to the "regular" schedule.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We have a week of intense heat/sun with no rain,, or even clouds,,, coming through CentroWisco this week...

We'll have another comparison to proper fertilizing timing and the TGCL Wannabees...

I think it boils down to healthy turf being able to handle the drought vs. Dependent Turf living off the thatch containing water and soluable N... Growing roots in the soil is definitely the way to go...
We'll see if this creates a new round of browning that will be called brown patch...