Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-11-2013, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Ferris IS2000Z steering question

I am looking to upgrade my Kubota ZG to something a bit more comfortable due to a bad back. I demo'd the Ferris and really liked it except for the steering which I found very sloppy compared to the Kubota which is tight and tidy. Is that a Ferris thing? Can it be adjusted to be more responsive? Anything else out there I should try that has the comfort plus responsive steering?
Old 08-11-2013, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mts25 View Post
I am looking to upgrade my Kubota ZG to something a bit more comfortable due to a bad back. I demo'd the Ferris and really liked it except for the steering which I found very sloppy compared to the Kubota which is tight and tidy. Is that a Ferris thing? Can it be adjusted to be more responsive? Anything else out there I should try that has the comfort plus responsive steering?
I used to run a 2000z side by side with a 3100z and the 2000z was always less smooth and just felt squirrely compared to the big brother. It must be with the different transmissions, because they both had steering dampers on them if I remember correctly.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Member

The Ferris 2000Z is very touchy since they have the pump per wheel motor setup. Whereas the kubotas have the Transmissions that take more input to control the machine so it just takes getting used to. We can adjust the ferris tiller handles close enough where in most situations you can use one hand to control the machine like the walkers mowers
Old 08-11-2013, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mts25 View Post
Check out the Gravely 400 series which has super smooth and responsive steering. It is also one of the best riding/handling machines with the air seat and rubber isolated platforms.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I test rode the Husky PZ and the Ferris 2500 last week and hated the Ferris steering, I used the Husky all day but it really wore me out, I test rode the 3100 and had it delivered today and will cut maybe tomorrow or on Wed for sure and will keep it if I like it, which I'm sure is a given. Been talking with Puppy about it for sometime now...
Old 08-12-2013, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave k View Post
I test rode the Husky PZ and the Ferris 2500 last week and hated the Ferris steering, I used the Husky all day but it really wore me out, I test rode the 3100 and had it delivered today and will cut maybe tomorrow or on Wed for sure and will keep it if I like it, which I'm sure is a given. Been talking with Puppy about it for sometime now...
Ferris has the market cornered with their suspension. You won't be disappointed.