Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-12-2013, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Scag Blades & Bagger

Just ordered a Scag 3 bin catcher for my TigerCat. It's got a 24/27hp Kawi 61" Velocity deck. I have the standard blades that I've been running all summer. I assume they're low lift. They work great in tall thick wet grass which is what I've been dealing with all summer (Can't complain).....I also have a set of the Scag mulchers. I had them on for a week but it was just too wet and the grass was too tall. Made more of a mess than it was worth so I swapped them back out.

My question is what blades do you guys like to run while using the bagger, or doesn't it matter? I'll be using the bagger mainly for leaf clean ups but a handful of my weeklys would look great if bagged. For leaves, I assume the mulchers would be the best bet to maximize volume in the bags??? I'm thinking for collecting grass clippings, the std low lifts might be best to help keep the deck clean. And since the blower processes the clippings/leaves, maybe the mulching blades won't add much as far as performance. Also, since my unit only has the 24hp Kawi and a 61" deck, I think I'll be right at the limit on power. So maybe a low lift blade won't suck as much power as a mulcher. Maybe it won't even be noticeable. If there's a better option, like a G6 blade I can do that as well. What do you guys think?