Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-12-2013, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I always get a kick out of these kinds of threads. Apparently, everybody and his brother who has never run someone else's business (and probably has never been in on of their facilities) knows how someone else runs their shop.

I don't know how you run your business any more than you know how I run mine. If you personally ran a Scotts operation, personally managed their budgets, and created and managed the P&L yourself, then you can comment all you want about it. But, if you haven't done those things (even if you sprayed lawns for them), you don't have much to say.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I see nothing wrong with the responses on this thread. If things weren't true, then anything negative is concluded from experience.
The best illusionists I have ever witnessed, is the one's that have great skills.
You want to know a secret?--Back when I worked at Lowe's.......Garden Center...."Whispering"
I witnessed the seed rep taking the out of date stickers off the seed bags and overlaying with new one's.....that were in date. I guess you can spell out the name of the company in question? I don't have to do it for you.
So, I will blunder and say something in regard's to someone else's business if they are caught doing something blatantly illegal, wrong, or morally unjust.
This forum was designed for all to discuss the finding's of this industry.
Some of this stuff on here is demoralizing and just hot air, but sometimes we can all relate to situations.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
This forum was designed for all to discuss the finding's of this industry.
Maybe this statement is correct. I just don't think it does us much good to speculate about things we have no way of knowing. Let's say (for example) that you have your guys carry a 2.5 gal jug (resembling a pesticide container) with clean water in it (you can use it for anything -- washing hands, cleaning parts, filling backpacks, etc). Now, let's say that someone on this forum sees one of your guys dumping out his clean water 2.5 gal jug onto someone's lawn at the end of the day (maybe he needs it for something else).

Should the guy who sees you doing that come onto this forum and blast you for dumping pesticides onto lawns? You probably wouldn't appreciate that. But, that's what a lot of guys on here are doing to the big companies.

If the Big Guys (or anyone else) were making claims against you or marketing against you in an unfair manner, I certainly could understand you taking to the forums for that. One of our bigger local competitors (not one of the Big Guys, but about our same size) did that to me years ago. They sent out flyers that compared their service to mine and said I used inferior materials, made improper applications, and used watered down spray mixes. They had not idea what was in my spray tanks and what kinds of materials I was using, but they made the claims anyway. I took them to court, won a judgment, got them to stop the ads, and won a damage judgment.

I think in that situation, you would be justified coming on here and saying "these guys marketed against me unfairly." But, you're no better than those guys if you stoop to their level. How would you respond if Scotts accused you of doing the things you accuse them of doing?
Old 08-13-2013, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaturf View Post
the scott,s franchise around here is huge, kinda sad to go in a neighborhoodafter them and see dozens of flags. some people like the big store stuff.But they use lesco / John deere landscapes products. their list of productsleft w/ customer after app has all the scotts stuff listed plus the lesco stuff.do these customers reaally think scotts is going around house to house putting Miracle-Gro out ?
Sad part is, people actually think that....
Old 08-13-2013, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Scotts is a ripoff in most cases in our market. I started with ChemLawn Corporation back in the late 70's. Quit ChemLawn prior to TrUGreen buying them out. Started my company in 1990. We became the largest purchaser of Scotts fertilizer in our state. It was good stuff.

Then Scotts went though a buyout. Their fert prices rose when they started 'Scotts Lawn Service'. I won't go into a big list, cuz it's a long one. Including 3 of my former employees who worked for them, but they don't work there anymore. (several reasons)

Currently, we pick up more dissatisfied Scotts customers compared to TruGreen. (several reasons)

Sending out 75,000 DMP's (direct mail packets) might get Scotts customers, but they better provide results. sorry Scotts. Then try to shovel 7 apps per year. Then charge double for "grub ex" twice each year.

Land grant universities recommend XYZ. Scotts tries to sell ___________ (name this term). Too funny. Rip!
Old 08-13-2013, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
I always get a kick out of these kinds of threads. Apparently, everybody and his brother who has never run someone else's business (and probably has never been in on of their facilities) knows how someone else runs their shop.

I don't know how you run your business any more than you know how I run mine. If you personally ran a Scotts operation, personally managed their budgets, and created and managed the P&L yourself, then you can comment all you want about it. But, if you haven't done those things (even if you sprayed lawns for them), you don't have much to say.
Great point! For you guys that are stating that you know for a fact that Scotts, whether it be a franchisee or corporate location...how do you know they over over applying? If all you are basing that on is how fast the grass is growing, then I am glad I am not your customer.
Do you know the analysis of the fert being applied? Do you know the rate at which its being applied? I'll state it again, why would you purposely apply product at heavier rate that recommended? More product doesn't mean a healthier lawn. Plus your cutting into your own costs. Which if anyone owns a business, please tell me how that makes sense to you?
None of the SLS branches uses k and as far as N, just like the products you all use, it comes with a limit of how much can be applied per yr/per acre. We don't offer 7 apps, most of customers take 4 or 5 apps and we don't come close to the limit of what legally be applied.
I know there are plenty of Scotts bashers out there, but when i first started in the green industry i started with lawn doctor...i wasn't even licensed and I was applying products. I didn't know I had to be licensed till I went with another company.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
Maybe this statement is correct. I just don't think it does us much good to speculate about things we have no way of knowing. Let's say (for example) that you have your guys carry a 2.5 gal jug (resembling a pesticide container) with clean water in it (you can use it for anything -- washing hands, cleaning parts, filling backpacks, etc). Now, let's say that someone on this forum sees one of your guys dumping out his clean water 2.5 gal jug onto someone's lawn at the end of the day (maybe he needs it for something else).

Should the guy who sees you doing that come onto this forum and blast you for dumping pesticides onto lawns? You probably wouldn't appreciate that. But, that's what a lot of guys on here are doing to the big companies.

If the Big Guys (or anyone else) were making claims against you or marketing against you in an unfair manner, I certainly could understand you taking to the forums for that. One of our bigger local competitors (not one of the Big Guys, but about our same size) did that to me years ago. They sent out flyers that compared their service to mine and said I used inferior materials, made improper applications, and used watered down spray mixes. They had not idea what was in my spray tanks and what kinds of materials I was using, but they made the claims anyway. I took them to court, won a judgment, got them to stop the ads, and won a damage judgment.

I think in that situation, you would be justified coming on here and saying "these guys marketed against me unfairly." But, you're no better than those guys if you stoop to their level. How would you respond if Scotts accused you of doing the things you accuse them of doing?
I wonder what made them compare themselves to you? It's obvious he thinks you're the big dogs in your area to compare to you like that, but that's just crazy... Glad you did something about it and won...
Old 08-14-2013, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Skipster,
I appreciate your rebuttal.
There is plenty of members on this panel that makes this industry more professional.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

April... now is the time to apply Grub ex for "season-long control".

June...now is the time to apply Grub ex for "season-long control".

Also recommended = six fert apps per year.

source: Scotts Lawn Care email updates for Midwest lawns.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
April... now is the time to apply Grub ex for "season-long control".

June...now is the time to apply Grub ex for "season-long control".

Also recommended = six fert apps per year.

source: Scotts Lawn Care email updates for Midwest lawns.
I personally don't know any any branch that applies/recommends or charges for more than one grub preventative.
It really seems like you pick one area and just run it into the ground.