Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-09-2013, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Member

New to the LawnSite - New to the lawncare business

This site is so helpful and I like to read about things on here everyday. I figured I should introduce myself to the site just like everyone else.

I am 25 years old and I just started getting into lawncare this year. The begining of June actually haha. I have always wanted to cut grass on the side for extra cash and it took me a little while to really start doing it. I work a regular full time job 40 hours a week so I figured I could mow after work or on my days off. I started with a ad on craigslist and with in a few days had my first yard, then first mulch job, the first tree job, and first clean up job. Now being August I have 8 regular mowing jobs that are weekly and bi weekly and 2 or 3 yards that were one time deals. I have not done any other advertising besides on craigslist. Other yards I get are just by word of mouth.

For equipment, I did not spend any money on it. I used a push mower and cheap trimmer and the bed of my truck. I already had a small tralier for my mulch then I got a 38 inch riding mower for $150 and that worked on my only big yard but took FOREVER! I have had stuff break and give me problems and gotten behind from rain and got ripped off. But I think everyone goes thru that in the beginning. I take what I can get and take the crappy yards no one else will take. But in the end you gotta start somewhere I always say.

I got a used zero turn now with 300 hours on it and its helping a lot and saving me time. I use it on 6 of my yards. Next year goal is advertise more, bigger yards, new tralier, better mower and trimmer, business cards and look more professinal.

I like mowing yards and the little extra money for my family and my new born son, which is 6 months old now. Wish me luck for next year.
Stihl FS130R Trimmer
Stihl FS100RX Trimmer
Stihl BR430 Back Pack Blower
Old 08-09-2013, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

go for it! Good luck!
Old 08-09-2013, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome! Sounds like you are off to a good start and you have some goals for next year. If you don't already have it next year you should add license and insurance. Always upgrade equipment when you can along with clients. Best of luck.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Get yourself a website and over time that will pay off. Good luck
Old 08-15-2013, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck my man. You seem like the kinda guy we all root for.