Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-12-2013, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Follow up

How long after do you follow up on an estimate? I sent one out on friday and still havent heard anything. Do you think I should send an email and if so how do I word it?

Turf size: 3200 sq flat lot, easy cut, corner house

I sent 3 different options

Basic - Mowing trimming edging as needed clean up - 25
Full Service - Mowing trimming edging bi weekly & clean up and bi weekly bed maintenance - $29
White glove Service - Mowing trimming edging weekly & clean up and weekly bed maintenance - $32.75

Do you think my prices are to high? They told me who they are with now i did some research they are an unlicensed landscaping company probably not insured and if they are probably do not have a high dollar policy. Should I pass this information on in the follow-up email? These unlicensed companies are killing me!
Old 08-12-2013, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmike View Post
How long after do you follow up on an estimate? I sent one out on friday and still havent heard anything. Do you think I should send an email and if so how do I word it?

Turf size: 3200 sq flat lot, easy cut, corner house

I sent 3 different options

Basic - Mowing trimming edging as needed clean up - 25
Full Service - Mowing trimming edging bi weekly & clean up and bi weekly bed maintenance - $29
White glove Service - Mowing trimming edging weekly & clean up and weekly bed maintenance - $32.75

Do you think my prices are to high? They told me who they are with now i did some research they are an unlicensed landscaping company probably not insured and if they are probably do not have a high dollar policy. Should I pass this information on in the follow-up email? These unlicensed companies are killing me!

Personally I wouldn't tell them any information regarding the other company, that doesn't matter. Simply put if you want to follow up, go for it - make it plain and simple.

" Dear Name Here,

I hope all has been well, I am just looking to touch base with you in regards to the estimate I offered for your lawn service. Please if you have any questions do not hesitate to ask. I look forward to working with you in the near future."

Yours Truly,

Your Name
Signature
Contact Information"

- Shindaiwa T242
- STIHL MS290 FarmBoss
- Echo PB500T

Starting 2014 - Solo Operation!
Old 08-12-2013, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'd include in there....
Licensed by the city of xxx to operate, insured for your protection.
Maybe under your business name
2 Sears electric weedeaters
1 green machine electric leaf blower
1 sears articulating hedge trimmer-electric
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
lawn chair to enjoy a beer while I wait for the cash to be handed to me
Old 08-12-2013, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars & Stripes Landscaping View Post
Personally I wouldn't tell them any information regarding the other company, that doesn't matter. Simply put if you want to follow up, go for it - make it plain and simple.

" Dear Name Here,

I hope all has been well, I am just looking to touch base with you in regards to the estimate I offered for your lawn service. Please if you have any questions do not hesitate to ask. I look forward to working with you in the near future."

Yours Truly,

Your Name
Signature
Contact Information"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend cut easymoney View Post
I'd include in there....
Licensed by the city of xxx to operate, insured for your protection.
Maybe under your business name
Thanks guys thats what I was looking
Old 08-13-2013, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The time to tell about your selling points, insurance, license, etc, is when you give them the price.

Next, learn to accept that you will not get every bid. If you are getting every bid then you are low balling.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Imagine a customer with your follow up email sitting in their inbox while your competitor is talking with them face to face. Try to follow up in person as much as possible. It is easy to say no to an email, but much harder to say no face to face.

Develop a follow up plan that works for you and try to stick with it every time. For example: Mention that you will be following up in X number of days when you give the estimate. On that day put a nice letter in your truck and "drop by" their house. Ideally they are home and you can talk with them face to face. If the spouse is home, chat with them a little, leave the letter and find out the best time to call. If the kids answer, drop off the letter, but immediately give the customer a call. If no one is home, give them a call before you leave.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If they want you they'll call. If they don't call they went with somebody else.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

By giving all those options you're basically telling the customer you don't need the work, plain and simple. But you do need the work, so what you do is give them White Glove service at the Basic price, that is what you do and then you won't be wondering about whether you should follow up no more.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
By giving all those options you're basically telling the customer you don't need the work, plain and simple. But you do need the work, so what you do is give them White Glove service at the Basic price, that is what you do and then you won't be wondering about whether you should follow up no more.
I dont want to low ball and work for free but i do want to work. I dont want to be know as the cheap landscaper i want to be known as a professional who charges a fair price for work done well.

Im still learning the market prices here, I did revise my pricing system and I sent them a new proposal I got a email that she let her husband know about the prices and I should hear from them soon. But thank you for the advice
Old 08-16-2013, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I hope you get the job. Every time I get the "I'll talk it over with my husband" line, I never get the job.