Click for Weather

Old 08-12-2013, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Reviews and recommendations for my website

Please give me feedback!

Www.ifitslandscaping.com
Old 08-12-2013, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pg 1 "This constant demand enables their service to save you time and money." How does that work? Would suggest you change "their" to "our." Consider removing the fertilizer, tree and mulch from bottom of page.
Pg 2 mulch is usually quoted in cubic yards
Pg 3 list of services and charges is too long imo. I'd leave off the price of repairs, you'll be constantly updating as your material costs change. Maybe say you do irrigation repairs with a few examples.
Pg 4 No posts in blog. Either put something there or hide the tab.
Nice start!
Old 08-13-2013, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

- red text on a bright green background simply doesn't work as it creates "visual noise". i can barely read it and i'm probably a bit younger than much of your target market.
- there is no cohesive page design. each looks different from the other, with most elements seeming disjointed.
- the irrigation pricing needs some serious attention. it's akin to opening an 8 page menu, with all small fonts, at a restaurant, and trying to sort through it. make it easy for people.
- if i were an "on the ball" potential customer, i'd seriously question the legitimacy of the photos.
- work in your service areas (cities/towns/suburbs). if google can't find you, customers won't be able to.
- read previous reviews for seo-related issues. hit up moz (formerly seomoz) and google for their beginners seo guides.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Your company name and tagline have nothing to do with one another. Missed opportunity for sure. I'd think "If It's Landscaping", "....then [something clever]" would rock. Instead you have a cliche.

The home page layout's bizarre. Where do I look? The contact form appears most important, but I'm not filling that out without knowing more. It's like you put everything you wanted on the home page on index cards, spread them out on the table, and photographed it.

How does you being in demand save me time and money? Word salad. Your copy needs work.

Is the goal to have people order their mulch, fertilizer, etc online without you having to measure and estimate? That seems unlikely to end well, based on my experiences.

Your product page makes me nervous for you. You're essentially positioning yourself like a reseller of fertilizer and herbicide, which would require specific licensing here. Even if that's not actually what you're doing, do you have the time to go explain that to a state ag inspector? I get what you're after but I don't agree with the execution.

Is this off a template or a free website builder or something?
Old 08-14-2013, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Your product page makes me nervous for you. You're essentially positioning yourself like a reseller of fertilizer and herbicide, which would require specific licensing here. Even if that's not actually what you're doing, do you have the time to go explain that to a state ag inspector? I get what you're after but I don't agree with the execution.
Good point. I think in SC you need a pesticide license to apply fertilizer for a fee.
Still think it is a nice start for a 18 year old.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will delete the fertilizer. Also paper cutter, this is off a template from webs.com. It is not free I pay around $80 a year or so. Please let me know if you have any better ideas as far as layouts or wording. is it bad to use a template or am i just using the wrong one?l
Old 08-14-2013, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djschofield22 View Post
is it bad to use a template or am i just using the wrong one?l
It's not bad, per se, but the trick is to make it not look like you've simply added your own images, fonts, etc, to a canned template. Very, very, (very) rarely is this ever successfully pulled off. Fuzzy pictures, a decision to use red or blue text (or whatever), instead of how the template was originally designed, work together to create a look of a template that has sloppy or disparate changes done. Most often, this is what leads to the "Is that a template?" question.

For what it's worth, in all of the reviews I've participated in on Lawnsite, I can honestly only think of one where I said, "Wow, that looks great." and only verified it was a template when I looked at the code. It wasn't too long ago, so if I can find it, I'll repost the link. Basically, it comes down to a cohesion between what you do and what was done by an actual designer.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djschofield22 View Post
is it bad to use a template or am i just using the wrong one?l
My site's built on a template (premium Wordpress template modified by a designer). Nothing wrong with it, but you need a decent template to start from.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Website Redone

I have redone the website and I think it is definitely better but still not as good as I would like. Please go look at it now everyone and let me know what you think.

Thanks for all the help
Old 08-18-2013, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks good to me. Contact info is prominent. Maybe add a blog page for lawn care tips to keep new readers interested and coming back.