Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-13-2013, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by khadux View Post
I noticed the same with my Exmark X21. I have other mowers that leave stragglers when mulching also but not as much as the exmark. Must be the red blade. Also the engine tends to surge once in a while. So far, not too impressed but it sure looks pretty in red .
I've got the same issue with the Kawasaki FJ180V engine on mine. It surges at the strangest moments. The surging seems more prevalent when the weather is hot and humid outside. I don't know what's causing that.

I contacted Exmark about the cutting issue. They responded by suggesting that I change blades to either their bagging blade or something called the extreme2 blade. Part numbers are: 108-3759 for the bagging blade and 108-0954 for the extreme 2 blade. I have no idea if either one would work.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMan19 View Post
Not a silly question, one would think it would, but it actually increases air-flow, and helps improve the suction of the deck.
Thank you. I'm going to give this a try as well and see if this rectifies the problem.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just to update everyone, I had the machine back into the dealer the last few days. They sharpened the blade, raised the rpms on the Kawasaki engine (sounds like a jet airplane now), and suggested the heights be put at 2" in the front and 2.5" in the back. I followed their instructions and tried out the machine. Some of the stragglers are gone and some are still there, especially on hilly and uneven terrain. The quality of cut seems worse too. I don't know if that's because the blade is spinning too fast due to the higher rpms? Very frustrating.