Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-16-2013, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
Only dealer here that will give a demo is the deere dealer. Everybody else looks at you like you are crazy.
I get that, and it's the same way here (as I commented on in the post the weaver quoted of mine, that I in turn replied back to), even for most of the Deere dealers. I was just replying to weaver's remark about them not wanting to loan or demo new equipment to anyone that they aren't sure is serious about buying. You would think they'd want to have at least a couple models handy for testing just to try to lure newbies or undecided's into buying.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I get that, and it's the same way here (as I commented on in the post the weaver quoted of mine, that I in turn replied back to), even for most of the Deere dealers. I was just replying to weaver's remark about them not wanting to loan or demo new equipment to anyone that they aren't sure is serious about buying. You would think they'd want to have at least a couple models handy for testing just to try to lure newbies or undecided's into buying.

I agree but unfortunately most dont. From what I understand the dealers have to purchase the mowers that they want to be demo units. Then people go out and use and abuse them and the dealer ends up taking a loss on the machine when they sell it. There are so many LCO's here that the dealers sell mowers like crazy so they feel no need to give demos.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 08-16-2013, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I agree but unfortunately most dont. From what I understand the dealers have to purchase the mowers that they want to be demo units. Then people go out and use and abuse them and the dealer ends up taking a loss on the machine when they sell it. There are so many LCO's here that the dealers sell mowers like crazy so they feel no need to give demos.
I believe that's what the problem is here too. They know the guys most interested in 10K plus mowers already pretty much know what's what, so they feel no need to offer demo units. Sucks when you want to try a new brand.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Being a Scag means nothing to me. I won't buy it if I cant try it first. This isn't the V+ deck, so its cut is an unknown as of now. I've never owned a BOP and have no plans to.
I always find it interesting that people invest so much time and effort in 'deck performance'..in 35 years, I haven't seen that much variation in deck performance...possibly variations when weeds or thistles are really tall...sharp blades, ease of mowing and deck adjustment seem to matter more from all the mowers I have used
Old 08-16-2013, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend cut easymoney View Post
I always find it interesting that people invest so much time and effort in 'deck performance'..in 35 years, I haven't seen that much variation in deck performance...possibly variations when weeds or thistles are really tall...sharp blades, ease of mowing and deck adjustment seem to matter more from all the mowers I have used
Maybe so where you are, but you're in TX and I'm in MI. There's a whole lot of difference in the climate and the turf types. Up here, decks can perform very differently from one another.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Maybe so where you are, but you're in TX and I'm in MI. There's a whole lot of difference in the climate and the turf types. Up here, decks can perform very differently from one another.
You know, I was told once by a John Deere tech that Bermuda is the equalizer for cutting decks. It is a turf that will show a deck's weaknesses faster than anything else. People always talk about the southern grasses being easier to cut, but in my experience the northern grasses usually mow up easier for me. At least when it's not soaking wet. My hustler, which many would consider to be a southern grass mower, will mow fescue and leave a great carpet cut, but if Bermuda is very tall at all it shows the airflow problems that plague the xr7.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Well that sucks. When we demo mowers the reps from the companies bring out the mowers. When we got our Scag Cheetah, Scag brought out every single riding mower they made plus the Vride so we could try them all and pick which one we liked. I guess thats a service they provide to dealers for carrying their mowers.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:03 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

It all comes down to the dealer being to lazy to call the area rep. These reps get paid to let LCO's demo. They also get commission if the LCO buys the machine because of the demo.

As far as decks go I have never had two decks cut the same in northern turf. IMO its the hardest to cut wet and fine fescue is the hardest to lift and cut clean. Very few decks cut good here. I do see how some would think bermuda is an equilizer. If its the grass I think it is its just like cutting crab grass.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
It all comes down to the dealer being to lazy to call the area rep. These reps get paid to let LCO's demo. They also get commission if the LCO buys the machine because of the demo.

As far as decks go I have never had two decks cut the same in northern turf. IMO its the hardest to cut wet and fine fescue is the hardest to lift and cut clean. Very few decks cut good here. I do see how some would think bermuda is an equilizer. If its the grass I think it is its just like cutting crab grass.
I should clarify here, we have a lot of Bermuda, but my customers don't want to pay to have it maintained like it should be. Bermuda is a grass that needs to be cut short and often. At least every four to five days in heavy growth season in my experience. Problem is, I have several customers who have Bermuda that only want every other week service, so the Bermuda gets ~ 4" tall before I can get back to cut it. Don't let anyone try and tell you that it is a stiff grass at this point, because it's not. It will lay over and not stand back up very well, and if you add in moisture it only complicates things. This is stuff I'm sure you're aware of, but it's a problem that we face as well with getting our decks to cut well.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:45 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
I should clarify here, we have a lot of Bermuda, but my customers don't want to pay to have it maintained like it should be. Bermuda is a grass that needs to be cut short and often. At least every four to five days in heavy growth season in my experience. Problem is, I have several customers who have Bermuda that only want every other week service, so the Bermuda gets ~ 4" tall before I can get back to cut it. Don't let anyone try and tell you that it is a stiff grass at this point, because it's not. It will lay over and not stand back up very well, and if you add in moisture it only complicates things. This is stuff I'm sure you're aware of, but it's a problem that we face as well with getting our decks to cut well.
Yup sure sounds like some nasty stuff to cut!! I think its what I cut in Florida during my initial 452 demo. Im glad we don't have it here.